Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#2892 by Kspurgin
Tue May 31, 2005 10:03 am
I thought I read, or heard that one could explode a symbol and the original layers for individual lines would come up. Is this true?
#2895 by Tony Blasio
Tue May 31, 2005 10:28 am
This is true as long as the symbol was saved in version 10 or 11 when this feature was introduced. (at least I think it was in 10). There is a side menu toggle (when inserting) to explode symbols to either the current layer or original layers. Also the 3D Explode can explode can do the same on already inserted symbols.
#2896 by Neil Blanchard
Tue May 31, 2005 10:43 am
Hello & welcome!

Tony is correct on all points -- except that this feature is only in v11. :wink:

[Edit] Here's the keyboard macro that takes you to the 3D Explode/Symbol Explode -- and back again:

Q^105#^S3^F1

Change the Q to the letter that you want to use with the ALt key...
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Tue May 31, 2005 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
#2900 by Nick Pyner
Tue May 31, 2005 10:59 am
You can do it, in V11 only. It will drive you crazy until you have the settings in place.

First, the symbol must be exploded i.e. it is no longer a symbol.

Second, F8 "current layer" must be set green in the insert menu. You don't see this menu until you select the symbol. You don't select this menu, it comes up automaticallyt while you're not looking. If you miss it, you've done yer dash and it's not difficult to do as you are probably looking at the symbol browser - which could be on the other side of a different monitor.

Once this has been set in your default file(s), it all works sweetly.
#2908 by Kspurgin
Tue May 31, 2005 1:48 pm
Thank you,
I've been using another type of explode where it did not give me that option. It's exactly what I needed.