Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#62107 by Nick Pyner
Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:04 am
I think this has come up before but the files size produced by DatasCad becomes a bit of an issue on big jobs.

I have been making up a new set of drawings from PDF. Following recent posts, I have been using 400% snapshots, edited in PSP and brought into DataCad. The result was a 24Mb multi-page PDF, some pages being around 4Mb.

It really pays to run these PDFs through PDFill. They come out unscathed and about one third the size.
#62135 by gfinn
Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:13 pm
Hi Nick,
This is also a perpetual issue for me. My clients upload multipage pdfs for tendering. The tendering site has limited each file size to 5Mb per file. The whole project can consist of up to 7 such files but the Architectural set can only consist of up to 2 files, no matter how large or small the project. These parameters are unyielding.

Our drawings are therefore combined, bookmarked and optimised using Adobe Acrobat pro. Usually that is not enough as the file size is still too high. So I compress them again using IRIS "PDF Compressor"... however, there is always a loss of quality in all this.

It would be useful if Datacad could batch print to multipage PDF's, and it would be further useful if the file size could be set at a max by the user. It seems simple to say.... and no doubt difficult to program, but it would save me days in fiddling around and collating... for each time a multipage pdf is produced and reduced.... there are going to be some changes once everyone has had a look at it... and the whole process of printing and collating has to start again. What a pain!

Gazza
#62138 by wwwylie
Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:51 pm
gfinn wrote:It would be useful if Datacad could batch print to multipage PDF's...

This would be an awesome feature!

When I made the jump tio DataCAD 15 (I came from 12) I had to make some changes to my plotting in order to keep file size down. I usually get about 1-2MB per page of a standard set of plans (Hatches and Bitmaps drive it up) when I print through Adobe Acrobat to create the PDF. Version 15 was making 4-8MB files out of my original v12 files and the only way I have been able to reduce it back was to turn off Pen Sort. This change has caused me to overhaul my entire drawing style including layer order, colors, and pen tables. Overall the change has been good because it has allowed me to more easily take advantage of new features such as knockouts, but it has been a bit of a learning curve that I am not used to with DataCAD. I guess I learned a good lesson >> Don't wait 3 versions to upgrade!
#62144 by Nick Pyner
Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:39 am
This is only a partial solution and can even be a mixed blessing: My PDF stuff always goes out as a single document, merged in PDFIll Tools. In the case of Balfour Road, this 14pp file was put through PDFil printer. 24Mb in, 8Mb out.