Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#62196 by dennisnorton
Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:00 am
I use a watermark in all of my drawings during development of construction documents. I have recently gotten a very nasty email from the general contractor about how terrible it is - it blocks out some of the drawing information. Is there a way to have the watermark "NOT FOR CONSTRUCTION" be translucent so that the information below the text is still visible?
#62197 by Roger D
Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:08 am
what color are you using?
change it to a light grey tone (color 28+/-?) ps (set to pen=16)
is it on a layer that prints earlier than the rest of the drawing?
Not sure if it would matter, but is print fills first checked in you pen table?
#62200 by Nick Pyner
Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:45 am
I use a symbol made from a TTF 2000 high outline in dark grey. I took an image of it and filled it with dark grey. This means I am now dealing with ab SPB fill rather than text. My dark grey fills print first and are mapped 25% black i.e. light grey. The result is plot lines printing over large light text. This is not exactly translucent, but it should keep the contractor quiet.
Attachments
prelim.gif
prelim.gif (34.99 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
#62206 by joshhuggins
Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:43 pm
We just put it over our professional stamps area vs. over the plans. Drives me fracking nuts when contractor head off with prelims or the like and start building and then come back griping that things are not working out or changed. If they ain't approved they ain't worth buildin yet.
#62211 by dennisnorton
Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:45 am
Thanks everyone!!! I will play around with this when my deadline is met - no time now...

I used to put a note in the title block, but I started finding my details and drawings being used by others. Of course, there isn't an absolute solution for stealing drawings, but by putting the notes over the drawings, they will have to work hard at erasing the notes.

I received a phone call from a building department once saying the permit is ready. Someone had reused the complete set of drawings I had done on another project, changed the title block and dates, and submitted for a permit.

I also put my original signature on printed copies - in Green ink (never electronic signature). That way, my first question to the building official - what color is the signature.
#62212 by MtnArch
Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:38 pm
Another option that an EE I used to work with would do is re-scale the drawing a few times with screwy scales in every direction (never the same). He figured that if you spent that much time trying to get the drawings back to a "steal-able" condition you'd spend more than you were saving!