Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#62345 by wwwylie
Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:57 pm
I commonly use keyboard shortcuts to move through text (Ctrl+Arrow skips entire words with the cursor). This works great while going through ParaText, MText & Regular Text, but doesn't work while editting Symbol Attributes.

Also, I can "tab" through the fields of Symbol Attributes, but Shift+Tab does not go back to the previous field.
#62347 by Roger D
Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:08 pm
I use this command alias when needing to go through many symbols at once:
dcadwin.dca
Code: Select all[sa]
comment=Change Symbol Attribute
alias=^170#^$^

My keyboard macro dcadwin.mcr
Code: Select allH^170#^$^8#^S8^S2^F1^$^
\\  H-  Change Text

Will try the symbol attribute first, and it that fails goes to text change
or, this will keep picking the symbol attribute
Code: Select allL^170#^$^
\\  L-  Edit Symbol Attribute at cursor, then pick next one

Sorry, Shift -Tab doesn't yet take you back through symbol attributes, great Wishlist item though.
#62359 by wwwylie
Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:36 pm
Roger:

I use my keyboard macro Alt+C to change the attribute:
Code: Select allC^170#^$^;^F0^S8^S2^
// C - change text menu

I commonly use the Shift + Arrow keys to "drag" and highlight words for replacement, which works fine. For longer text, I hold down Ctrl + Shift + Arrow keys to highlight whole words at a time, but the Ctrl key doesn't work when editing attributes.

Thanks for confirming the Shift+Tab not working. That is on my wishlist now.
#62374 by Mark Wilhelm
Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:30 pm
I'd like to chime in that the ctrl-right-click pick "Symbol Tools" then pick "Edit Attributes" sequence is a huge time sink, and I wish you'd streamline the process. I often find I need to change the attributes for several symbols previously placed, and the process is tedious. I will try the macro solution, which seems a good idea. But I'd prefer that DataCad be clever enough to notice that I have just Ctrl-right-clicked on a symbol and is is unlikely that I will want "Get Construction Plane", "zoom To" or most of the other options on the first menu that pops up and instead provide a menu appropriate to symbols, with "Edit Attributes" near the top. I very much appreciate these pop-up menus, mind you, but really, shouldn't they be much smarter, more aware of context?
#62376 by Roger D
Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:43 pm
The third one will let you to continue without redoing the macro.