Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#62372 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:24 pm
Greetings,

I have been wondering this for a while: what is the purpose of text having a linetype and line spacing property? And similarly, why a symbol has a spacing property? When the symbol includes a dashed line, the spacing on the symbol changes the way that dashed line appears, and while I understand that - I'm not sure how/why/when this would ever be used?

Also, I Alt-I on text a lot, and sometimes I am surprised the next time I draw a line, when it is something other than solid it was the last time I drew a line. Having "hidden" properties on text, like linetype and line spacing has only ever complicated things, and do not seem to serve a purpose; at least not that I am aware of.
#62373 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:48 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:what is the purpose of text having a linetype and line spacing property?
Not sure, maybe DWG support? I thought I had seen dashed texted before. I tried to get some text to show dashed but couldn't. Not much use I could think if other than I might want to dash something to show a contrast of some sort. Might be nice if text could actually be drawn with a linetype. We have our text shortcuts coded to set the linetype to solid so I think that's probably why we don't see this issue much here. Might be worth looking into setting up something similar in the mean time.
Neil Blanchard wrote:And similarly, why a symbol has a spacing property? When the symbol includes a dashed line, the spacing on the symbol changes the way that dashed line appears, and while I understand that - I'm not sure how/why/when this would ever be used?
I'd guess DWG compatibility also. I'm a little hesitant to say this one is pointless at this point, but couldn't think of how one might use it either off the top of my head. With the spacing available via the symbols properties now it's easy to fix when things get out of sync with the enlargement factors. Maybe it's so it could work similar to how the lock scale for hatch works? Granted you would have to set the scale manually this way.