Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#62812 by dennisnorton
Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:45 pm
For some reason text inside some of my symbols don't print. They display on the screen, but don't print...

Is there possibly a knockout setting?
#62816 by David A. Giesselman
Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:04 pm
Dennis:

If you'd like, you can email me (dave@datacad.com) the file and your pen table and I'll have a look at it.

Dave
#62820 by joshhuggins
Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:24 pm
Something with a knockout turned on?
#62822 by dennisnorton
Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:55 pm
It is a knockout issue. I didn't realize that the text AND the circles/arcs in a section symbol had knockout availability.

I tried doing the edit symbol process, but I could never get the knockout <off> to stick, so I just redefined the symbol and all is well...

Thanks, everyone, for helping me!!!

I printed a project recently and didn't look over the actual printout until a few days later and to my surprise, there was no text in many of the symbols... I will be more careful from now on.

Wish list - perhaps have a toggle on the symbol to turn OFF or ON all knockout settings for the individual symbol. When I first tried correcting this issue, I turned off knock-out for the text. I then found that the 2 arcs also had the knockout setting. So this symbol had 4 instances for knockouts.
#62823 by MtnArch
Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:59 pm
I was having issues with trying to use Knockout back in '11 and Mark T. responded with the following to my cry for help - hopefully it will shed some more light on how to make Knockout work best:

"The problem is that the color used to draw the framing (Lt Magenta) is
assigned to a higher Pen Assignment number in the Pen Table (8) than
the circle inside the symbol which has the KnockOut enabled (White,
Pen 4).

For this to work with Pen Sort on, you'll need to adjust the
assignments so that the color of the KnockOut entity (White) is
assigned to a Pen Assignment number that is lower than the detail
circle (Lt Green), and detail text (Yellow), but higher than the
framing color (Lt Magenta). This will result in a print order of
framing, then KnockOut, then detail circle and text.

Another option would be to turn Pen Sort off. This will cause DataCAD
to print using display order instead of Pen Assignment order."