Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#62964 by dennisnorton
Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:41 am
This isn't directly related to version 16, but I was wondering how everyone manages their symbol files.

I currently leave the datacad symbols in the datacad directory. However, each time there is a new version, it requires moving my previous symbols to the new folder. Pehaps it has been wrong, also, that I have been tweeking the datacad symabols and adding mine to the datacad symbol folders.

Should I just create a directory for symbols and then place new updated datacad symbols into my personalized ones?

Also, I assume that symbols are readable in all recent versions (up or down) of datacad.

I am considering hiring out some cad work and want to make this as seamless as possible.
#62968 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:38 am
dennisnorton wrote:Should I just create a directory for symbols and then place new updated datacad symbols into my personalized ones?
This is essentially what we do, and the folder is shared, and mapped to a drive letter S: so all the computers access symbols from the S: drive.
#62972 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:37 pm
No, I use a VPN connection into work and combination of Robocopy batch scripts and a program called GoodSync to keep thing in synced between work and home. I sync a ton of files and to get what I want access to would cost me an arm and a leg to do in the cloud.