Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#63031 by Bob Shaw
Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:23 pm
In a file devoted to vertical sections and details I have wall sections and building sections. Building sections and wall sections use the same layers and I MSP them into sheets at different scales.
I've created a typical self Xref to use to clip out large scale details, copied it to 27 individual layers, xref clipped out the detail, and save as GTVs.
Have I gone over the practical limit of xrefs? This file bogs down when plotting a sheet with these details taking a looooooooong time to plot. Sheets with building or wall sections (no xrefs) plot in normal time. Is there any way to speed up the plotting?
I'm not sure if this would be an issue but I keep this file in Dropbox.
#63042 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:15 am
Hi Bob!

Two things are possibly/likely involved: if you do not need Nesting in an XRef (or self reference) - turn it off. And also try turning off Dynamic Snapping for all XRef's and self references - this is NOT turning off the ability to snap to them; but rather it turns off the dynamic flyouts that denote when each snap point is.
#63043 by Bob Shaw
Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:48 am
Hi Neil,

Nesting was off, but dynamic snapping was on. I shut it off in all xrefs and I notice no difference. It takes about 5 1/2 minutes to generate a plot for my sheet of details.

Thanks,
Bob
#63045 by joshhuggins
Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:42 pm
Any image files on the sheets?
#63046 by Bob Shaw
Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:25 pm
Hi Josh,
No Image files.
FYI, Keeping it on Dropbox has no effect. I copied the file to my desktop and it's still slow.
Let me throw this out there. When creating the self Xref it's saved on the current layer, which I create for that self Xref. By doing that the layer becomes part of the Xref. Does it have to be? I go in and turn off that layer In the Xref Manager. It was slow before I did this to all the Xrefs and it's slow after I did it, so it appears to have no effect. After all, what's the point of an Xref with a layer in it that is an Xref?
Bob