Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#63110 by esme103
Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:47 am
I bought a new desktop which has a Microsoft 8.1 operating system and thus I needed to upgrade to DataCAD 16. My existing files are on a laptop and were drawn in DataCAD 12 or 10. How do I move these to my new computer?

In advance, thanks for your help.

Regards,
Esme
#63113 by ORWoody
Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:48 am
Depending upon how many files and how large they are, probably the easiest way would be to copy the containing folder/folders to a flash drive.
For example, if you have all of them inside a folder named Drawings on your C: of your laptop, copy that entire folder to your flash drive. If they are inside DataCad in the Drawings folder there, you can do the same thing. You do not need to take the DataCad, only the Drawings folder.
Copy the files, folders and all to your new computer. You can place them into Datacad 16 if they were inside Datacad 12 or you can place them in the C: root directory. It is your choice. As for me, I prefer to have a Drawings folder in the root directory. It is simply your preference.
All of them will be read by DCAD 16. All you need to do is to specify the correct path when you open DataCAD 16 for the first time so that Datacad can find them.
One thing to be aware of is that any XRefs that you have will seem to be missing or orphaned when you open the containing drawing for the first time. Simply redefine or re-path them to point to the new location. If you haven't been using XRefs then this won't be a factor anyway.
Be brave.... Datacad makes migrating forward easy and rewarding.
Woody
#63117 by ORWoody
Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:42 pm
Apparently, moving the files went well.
Great.
esme, mentioned that one file that would not open previously, opened in Version 16.
I'd like to take credit for that, but I think the kudos should probably be given to Dave Giesselman. My opinion is that Version 16 is as nice out of the box as any update ever has been and that is using a high bar for the standard.
Glad to hear that esme managed to get everything done as needed.
Woody