Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#63886 by Mark Toce
Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:58 am
If your drawing file contains any non-standard line types (anything other than Solid, Dotted, Dashed, or Dot-Dash), then DataCAD automatically creates the compiled shape file (*.shx file extension) which contains the definitions of the line types. When you send the file to someone who uses AutoCAD, include the *.shx file with the drawing, and instruct them to save the files into the same folder. When they open the drawing file, AutoCAD automatically loads the *.shx file and uses it to display the line types properly.

If your drawing contains only Solid, Dotted, Dashed, or Dot-Dash line types, then no *.shx file is needed, so it is not created.
#63887 by MtnArch
Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:12 am
Just as an FYI - with the SHX file in the same directory as the exported DWG file the linetypes will show, but they don't look quite the same as the Dcad ones and they are NOT at the correct scale - the Acad user will need to modify the Linetype Scale in Acad to make it look closer to what our Dcad linetypes look like.
#63936 by Mark Toce
Mon May 05, 2014 9:05 am
Hundreds of Bears wrote:doesn't the .SHX file also contain the fonts that are being used? ... or is it solely line type information?

This particular *.shx file (the one that has the same name as the drawing file) contains just the line type information. Other *.shx files could contain font definitions. The *.shx file extension is for a "compiled shape file," which has multiple purposes.
#63939 by MtnArch
Mon May 05, 2014 10:02 am
To add onto Mark's post - make sure you send your font SHX files with the file if you need the other person/consultant to see your fonts as you intended.

A caveat to consider as well - there are multiple SHX fonts floating around that have the same name but are NOT the same font, which means that even though the other person/consultant says they have that font it may not show up the same as what yours looks like in Dcad.
#63943 by Hundreds of Bears
Mon May 05, 2014 12:33 pm
so...

let's say I have a drawing with no odd line types-- in fact, let's say it has only solid lines--

how do I make a .SHX file that contains the font information so that I can send it along with the drawing file?
#63948 by MtnArch
Mon May 05, 2014 5:20 pm
You don't make any SHX files - you'll need to go into your DataCAD fonts subdirectory and physically copy them out. What I have done in the past is created a zip file of my standard files (fonts, pen tables, etc.) that I just add to the e-mail when I send out the DWG file. As long as you remember to update the zip file if/when you change any of your standard stuff it's pretty painless.
#63949 by Roger D
Mon May 05, 2014 5:52 pm
from the RevHist.htm file

9) Pak-N-Go provides the ability to take your current drawing and pack it up into a single file that includes all of its XREFs, Bitmaps, SHX Fonts, Pen Tables, Materials and Textures. The reverse operation allows extracting the archive either to a single directory or it will recreate the original folder structure.
#63959 by MtnArch
Tue May 06, 2014 11:12 am
This is only for an AEC file - NOT a DWG conversion which is what HOB was asking about.