Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#64288 by GARY247
Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:01 pm
If you get dumped out of Datacad why wouldn't there be a $wp file created? Is there anyway to do a search for this. I have looked in the temp files and there is nothing there.
#64289 by ORWoody
Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:52 pm
There is a way to search that is just too easy so windows makes it tougher.
Go to the DOS prompt and do a search for the filename.swp. Change directories to the root directory with "cd \." No period, no quotation marks.
The syntax is "dir filename.swp /s" so that it searches all sub-folders.
As far as the swap file... When you open a drawing, the .u$r file is created immediately. I'm not sure when that is updated, but it may have to do with when the auto-save comes into play.
In my list, the swap files seem to be related to something else and are not drawings like .dbk and u$r. I've never had to work with one so that is just my not knowing, not what it is really.
Good luck,
Woody
#64290 by joshhuggins
Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:08 pm
$wp files are temporary files, and I believe they are the uncompressed working file that is used while you actually work. Since they are temporary files their path is based on what you have the Temporary Files path set to in the Program Prefs. The default path is a folder in your Datacad folder called Temporary Files. They are created as soon as you open any drawing, and are removed when you close the file. An improper closing of the file will leave them in the temp folder. If memory serves me correct, something in the way the $wp files work had changed at one point and I thought Datacad said it was a bad idea to try to use $wp files to recover data from and they recommended using the DBK & ARF files if possible. That said I have still used them to grab data from and paste into files when all else fails. :? Your mileage may vary.

Going off topic here.... :D

As for searching in windows, just open any explorer window in the path you want to search and use the search tool in the upper right corner. It's pretty powerful. Here is some info on the available syntax that you can use to help with the searches besides that which is built into the search drop down. The one and only thing I miss from Windows Vista was that it's search tools exposed more of this syntax in the GUI directly. Why they took it out is beyond comprehension. It will be limited in it's speed to return results in non-indexed local locations. Adding locations you know you want searchable is a very handy speed up. Hit the start buttons and type 'Indexing options'. Add paths to locations you want quickly searchable. You can also quickly search all indexed locations directly from the start button/menu. Also using the built in search for network shares via a UNC path or mapped drives from an OS running Server 2008 or later (or a Windows Vista SP2 system or later that has that location indexed) benefit from the built in search's ability to pass on the search to that single servers index so only the server has to do the indexing and reduces the search loads on the server because it doesn't have to dig thru the drive every time some requests a search result from the share.

Here is my search index on my home system. Keeping the list clean of fluff and only having items I know I want to search keeps my search results from my index quick and snappy.
Untitled - 1.jpg
Untitled - 1.jpg (46.13 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
#64291 by GARY247
Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:56 am
In talking to the person who was having the problem later she did get the message that datacad did not close properly and the drawing was recovered. Then some how once she started to work again a line got created that went off into infinity and that kicked her out again only this time there was no autosave. I think this is the reason nothing is showing up as the drawing was not saved after reopening it from the autosave and in the course of the first save everything went away. The only thing that shows up now is when she had gotten out of the drawing in the morning, nothing in the temp or recovery files, only showing the log files. l am not a computer wiz but I am assuming that there is no recourse but to take what she has and do a layer save and create a new drawing in hopes that if there is anything corrupt in the file it gets removed prior to doing a redraw.