Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#64324 by Roger D
Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm
Are you asking for just one instance, You could edit the symbol, and just make the attribute entry a space?
#64325 by dennisnorton
Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:38 pm
What I am trying to do is set up a symbols that I can use for section material designations, etc.

For instance:

C1 would be in a hexagon for ease of knowing the symbol; then another layer would have text shown for 1/2" or 1" scales then another layer for 1-1/2" scales. The text could be locked, but I want to use more description in the larger scale; e.g., Concrete slab for smaller scales and 8" Concrete slab over 6 mil Vapor Barrier over Compacted fill for the larger scaled sections.
#64327 by Roger D
Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:24 pm
Sounds like you might want to set the symbol up with layers that plot min/max scales, and the attribute set to a database that when you set C1, the other layers will show the correct text.
#64330 by dennisnorton
Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:14 am
Now I have a new situation to resolve.......

I saved the symbols with the appropriate layers, etc.

I use XREFs - so when they are imported into a file, I enlarge as necessary for the appropriate scale.

Now, the layer settings think the detail is plotted at 1/4" instead of 1/2" and 1-1/2".

In a simple building, I would typically add text to scale on the appropriate layers and be done with it. However, I am working on a very complex and trim/finish filled building. If one piece of trim changes, that would mean physically changing many, many notes. I was hoping to use a symbol for this, thus change the text in the changed symbol and then reload all drawings with this revised note.

This gives you an idea of what I am faced with symbol wise:
7 Accessories
5 Concrete
4 Doors/Windows
11 Framing
7 Moisture Control
9 Roofing
5 Stucco
18 Trim

Any suggestions? I am quickly running out of time on this project...
#64333 by dennisnorton
Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:54 am
OUCH!!!!!

I have gone back and spent hours adding new symbols, etc. I didn't realize that the plot scale settings for the layers carried over to the new symbols.

Is there a quick way to remove the max / min plot scales for the symbols? A batch file or something that will take all symbols in a folder and remove the parameters?

If not, I will be here another couple of hours changing all of these.....
#64334 by Roger D
Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:20 pm
I don't think so.
I'm not sure why you are enlarging drawings to plot, that is what MultiLayout is for, so you can plot different scales on the same sheet without distorting the drawing and thereby messing with layer scale min/max's.
#64338 by dennisnorton
Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:33 pm
Roger, this is a very large project with many details and drawings. There are 6 building sections with each building section having about 9 wall sections and 27 detail sections. Multi-plot is too cumbersome for this number of drawings - and that is just the sections sheets. This project will have over 100 sheets of architectural drawings and about 10 sheets of sections.

That is the reason for me trying to come up with a way to simplify notes on the sections. If the owner changes one of the materials, it effects a myriad of drawings and layers.
#64394 by dennisnorton
Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:07 am
Thanks for your suggestions. However, the project is too large for a file, or two or three... My project has three buildings bid as one, with approximately 50 drawing files. These are very complicated and detailed facilities. For smaller and less complicated projects that will work. To give you an example, I originally started with a flag system for showing materials on the wall sections. The list grew so large that it wouldn't fit in the sheet, and be readable. I currently have over 80 materials to list. So, that is why I came up with using symbols, instead. I have worked around the issue by going back to the old system of saving symbols for the various plot scales.

As for the one file - I have to use multiple overlays just for floor plans, ceiling plans, roof plans, dimension plans, etc. - so the files crash due to the amount of linework, hatchings, etc. without the overlay system.

I am happy with the work around - a little more front end work, but is doable.
#64396 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:20 am
I would not use one file for even one large building; let alone three.

In that ~50 files, how many drawing sheets? Within each file (which need to be set up to best be used in your situation) is where I would always use MSP, even if there is only one sheet in a particular file. If you have a single border file that is XRef'd into each of the other drawings, to keep the project information consistent, and you plot the border at full scale - and then place all the "details" placed within it at their own scales.

Nothing needs to be enlarged, and no need to create a separate sheet for different scales, or to have more than one border. Now that MSP "details" can be linked to GTV's, when you updated a GTV, the MSP detail is updated appropriately. Draw things only *once* and make multiple uses of the same things - to increase the accuracy and reduce the coordination within a set of CD's.

I simply cannot image how to do a project of any size without MSP.
#64397 by dennisnorton
Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:31 am
I think I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure how to interweave so many drawings into logical sheets.

For example - I have 8 - 1/4" building sections in separate files
Each building section has at least 16 - 1/2" scale wall sections
Each wall section has anywhere from 2 to 4 details at 1-1/2" scale.

It is my understanding that MSP only works for plotting the one file. Isn't it time consuming to set up individual plots that must be merged with a number of other plots from various files?

I now just insert XREFS into a master file and arrange them on the fly. The Xrefs use the GTV, etc. Maybe I just need to play around with this when my work load allows me to experiment.

Thanks for your suggestions.
#64399 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:30 am
There is a lot of overlap between how XRef's and MSP can be used. And I think they are most often used together. In order to clip out a detail from a wall section (or a full building section), an XRef is great, and a self-reference would also work. If you only have to have text, symbols, arrows and dims outside the clipped area, then you don't even need a self-reference; and you get what you need by using the "Ignores Clip Cubes" option on those entities.

I think that when possible, having all the wall sections for a particular building in one file is the best way to go. Just like you typically want to have all the plans of all the stories in a building "stacked" in one file. All elevations for one building in one file, with XRef's of both the floor plan file and the wall/building section file.

When you save the current plot scale with a GTV, and you use Text Scale, then this fits really well with Multiscale Plotting.