Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#70966 by esme103
Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:34 am
I have been working on a drawing for many many days now. I got a few diagnostic error messages and then reopened the drawing. I was careful to do a lot of "saving" although the program is supposed to save periodically. Just now the program shut down. Every time I ask to open it, I get a message saying that Datacad did not shut down properly and that it will open the latest saved version. Then I get a message saying "internal diagnostic fault 10, Error from 74" The circle turns and nothing opens. This is a disaster. I cannot start the entire project again. What can I do?

In advance, thank you, Esme
#70967 by Mark Bell
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:11 am
Hello Esme,

1. I'd start by creating a new blank drawing then turn off all the swothlud settings - these are the on/off toggles for walls, ortho, hatching,linetypes etc. Then save and exit the drawing.

2. Now open your drawing that crashes and begin pressing the Delete and End keys to pause/stop display of the drawing as it starts to load,

3. You may have to repeat step 2 a couple of times until you get the hang of stopping the loading of the drawing entities. Once you're able to do this you are now in the drawing.

4. It's likely there is a corrupt entity or more causing the file crash. Turning off the swothlud also stops items such as hatches or linetypes from displaying as these can sometimes be a cause if they are corrupted,

5. Press 'F' to file save / save the drawing,

6. Create a new layer and then pick active only and save the drawing again. If the file crashes and you have to open it again, the file opens with no entities to load at display given the only active layer has nothing on it.

7. Now try doing a File / Purge and save out all the layers, GTV's, MSP's and MVW's you have to a new filename,

8. Once done, save and exit and open the new filename. Another 'backup' option is to create a LayerSet though this isn't as good as a Purge,

9. With SWOTHLUD all turned on, now pick Layers/Active only and go through each layer to see if the file crashes as the layer entities are displayed. If it does, note the layer name at the point it crashes.

10. Reopen the file and Pick Layer/Erase/ then pick the layer name where the file crashed. You might have to repeat this going though each layer until the file no longer crashes. What you're essentially doing is isolating the layer(s) that cause the crash.

11. You can also pick Layer/Export prior to erasing the layer(s) when the file crashed to try and salvage info later,

12. One other thing that you might need to do if you have xrefs in the file as these are often a cause of file crashes. Locate the folder where the source xref files are and move them to a temporary folder then open the DataCAD drawing. The xrefs won't load as you have moved them allowing you to get into the file without the corrupt xref(s) causing it to crash.

13. Note, v18 and later now includes a File Repair tool that allows you to repair corrupt entities in a file before you open it including stopping xrefs from loading. It works and is worth upgrading for this.

Hope this helps
#70968 by Roger D
Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:42 am
other options
try to open the .dbk file, see if that has most all of your work?
open a previous session file, same check?
I think 16 had import feature, open new file and see if you can import from the bad file.
#70970 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:37 am
Another place to look for a file to try and recover after a crash is a folder in the DataCAD folder called RECOVER_ARCHIVE. Copy the .drf file and change the extension of the copy to .aec and then try and open it.

If all else fails, send the newest file(s) to Tech Support.
#70974 by MtnArch
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:01 pm
Since you are on an older version, be forewarned that Tech Support may charge you to fix the file - but that's up to DC LLC.
#70977 by esme103
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:13 pm
Mark Bell wrote:You could also download the v19 Trial version (I think it's valid for 30 days) and use the Repair Tool?
esme103 wrote:I have been working on a drawing for many many days now. I got a few diagnostic error messages and then reopened the drawing. I was careful to do a lot of "saving" although the program is supposed to save periodically. Just now the program shut down. Every time I ask to open it, I get a message saying that Datacad did not shut down properly and that it will open the latest saved version. Then I get a message saying "internal diagnostic fault 10, Error from 74" The circle turns and nothing opens. This is a disaster. I cannot start the entire project again. What can I do?

In advance, thank you, Esme
Mark Bell wrote:Hello Esme,

1. I'd start by creating a new blank drawing then turn off all the swothlud settings - these are the on/off toggles for walls, ortho, hatching,linetypes etc. Then save and exit the drawing.

2. Now open your drawing that crashes and begin pressing the Delete and End keys to pause/stop display of the drawing as it starts to load,

3. You may have to repeat step 2 a couple of times until you get the hang of stopping the loading of the drawing entities. Once you're able to do this you are now in the drawing.

4. It's likely there is a corrupt entity or more causing the file crash. Turning off the swothlud also stops items such as hatches or linetypes from displaying as these can sometimes be a cause if they are corrupted,

6. Create a new layer and then pick active only and save the drawing again. If the file crashes and you have to open it again, the file opens with no entities to load at display given the only active layer has nothing on it.

7. Now try doing a File / Purge and save out all the layers, GTV's, MSP's and MVW's you have to a new filename,

8. Once done, save and exit and open the new filename. Another 'backup' option is to create a LayerSet though this isn't as good as a Purge,

9. With SWOTHLUD all turned on, now pick Layers/Active only and go through each layer to see if the file crashes as the layer entities are displayed. If it does, note the layer name at the point it crashes.

10. Reopen the file and Pick Layer/Erase/ then pick the layer name where the file crashed. You might have to repeat this going though each layer until the file no longer crashes. What you're essentially doing is isolating the layer(s) that cause the crash.

11. You can also pick Layer/Export prior to erasing the layer(s) when the file crashed to try and salvage info later,

12. One other thing that you might need to do if you have xrefs in the file as these are often a cause of file crashes. Locate the folder where the source xref files are and move them to a temporary folder then open the DataCAD drawing. The xrefs won't load as you have moved them allowing you to get into the file without the corrupt xref(s) causing it to crash.

13. Note, v18 and later now includes a File Repair tool that allows you to repair corrupt entities in a file before you open it including stopping xrefs from loading. It works and is worth upgrading for this.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Hope this helps
#70980 by esme103
Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:17 am

Hope this helps