Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#65100 by DDA184
Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 am
So I made the plunge and updated from DC11 to the new DC17. I love the enhancements that have been made. So far I'm pretty amazed, and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface on all the changes since 11. One question I do have (as Neil said in a previous post "As I learn new habits"). Left button snapping takes some getting use to, but I find that I'm not always grabbing the point that I want. I believe my settings on Object Snapping are where they should be as well as in Program Preferences. Am I missing something else? Perhaps a lousy mouse? Or lousy operator? LOL. Thanks in advance for any advice.
#65101 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 am
Hi David,

Mice do wear out - especially with hard daily use. Inference snapping should works exactly like middle button snapping as far as the snap settings are concerned. ANd the left mouse button is the one that I have had break first.

See my thread on very robust gaming mice.
#65106 by Bruce111
Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:34 am
Also watch out for perpendicular snapping from the last point. This can make you scratch your head if your not aware of it. It can also be very handy when needed.
#65112 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:17 pm
I too feel like something has changed with snapping. Would say its happened since from maybe around x3 or so your jumping from v11 to v17 and noticing it makes sense to me. Know a few other offices who say the same thing. Can't put a finger on it, it just seems to pick weird random points sometimes. I only turn on perp for a few drawing types like plumbing and electrical so I can snap to walls with a ref point off a fixture or something, most of the time it's off when these issues happen. If I had to guess I would bet on xrefs, symbols and/or perp or virtual snapping or maybe a ini value that may somehow be involved since there are people who seemingly never see it. I tried turning on the little snapping Hints again just last week trying to figure out what might be causing this but they drive me more nuts than having the weird points getting picked once in a while. And usually when I get a weird snap point, if I immediately open the program prefs to turn on the hints, I can't get it to show a hint or re-snap to the weird point again to duplicate the issue. It's not a big deal, but it is weird and the points it picks are really bizarre.
#65113 by DDA184
Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:41 pm
Thanks Josh for posting your experiences with Object Snap. Now that a couple days have passed and had the opportunity to take 17 out for a run, I've been finding some of the same issues. I find on occasion that weird snap points are getting picked. I've been able to control most of these anomalies by toggling off what snap points I don't need. Sometimes it'll pick a hatch pattern that that may be part of a wall designation instead of picking the actual midpoint, intersect or endpoint on the wall. Its weird.
#65117 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:19 pm
For the hatching, make sure Search Hatch is turned off in the Object Snap menu unless you know you need it.
#65121 by Roger D
Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:49 pm
For smart walls, I have the display of hatched turned off, but in the DcadWin.ini settings, under
[Printer]
Print Smart Wall Fill=TRUE
Print Smart Wall Hatch=TRUE

So they print, but I don't have to see them all the time.