Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#65285 by joshhuggins
Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:44 am
Set Max Lines to 0.
#65289 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:04 pm
:)
#65924 by capri-express
Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:00 pm
I also have a symbol question. I am now working in an office that has upgraded to DataCAD 17. I was using DataCAD 10 before and I am having trouble working with this. I used to be able to hit T to get the template menu to display the symbols. Now it is blank. I have also tried to click on the square on the menu bar that displays 4 small red symbols in it. That does bring up the template that displays symbols, but I can't get it to display any of the symbols in different files. I have clicked on the file folder and I see that it lists Folder with a check mark to the left of it, Recent Folders, Favorite Folders and Add Current Folder to Favorites. The symbols I am looking for are not displayed in either the Recent Folders or Favorite Folders. I can find the symbols I am looking for by the shift key and ", but I have to scroll through them individually. Someone here suggested that I may have to completely remove DataCAD from my computer and re-install it. They did recently upgrade from DataCAD 15.

Thank you for your help.

Al
#65931 by MtnArch
Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:21 am
This may be an issue of understanding that what works best (now) is to use the Symbol Browser instead of Templates. You can still use your old templates but you'll need to re-path your references or change them to relative instead of absolute paths.

Do a search on the forums for the above and you might be able to resolve this pretty easily.
#65932 by Roger D
Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:38 am
Instead of repathing, Long ago once dcad started changing install directory, I just keep all my tmeplates & symbols in the same location C:\Datacad\TPL & \SYM, don't need to repath or rewrite the templates, just reset the default path .
#66178 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:31 pm
Hiya,

The Symbol Scale by Folder option seems to be problematic. In that if you have this toggled on, and you turn off Symbol Scale on the menu on the side of the DataCAD drawing window, it doesn't "stick", and it then cannot be turned off on the Options menu in the SB. You have to toggle off Symbol Scale by Folder, then toggle off Symbol Scale on the Options menu and then toggle SSbF back on.

This is confusing and ends up preventing us from using the SSbF feature.

Also, once you toggle on the SSbF feature, and you open a folder that needs to have Symbol Scale toggled on, and it is not - you have to toggle off the SSbF first, and then turn on Symbol Scale, and then toggle the SSbF back on. Again, this is very confusing.
#66179 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:06 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:The Symbol Scale by Folder option seems to be problematic. In that if you have this toggled on, and you turn off Symbol Scale on the menu on the side of the DataCAD drawing window, it doesn't "stick", and it then cannot be turned off on the Options menu in the SB. You have to toggle off Symbol Scale by Folder, then toggle off Symbol Scale on the Options menu and then toggle SSbF back on.

This is confusing and ends up preventing us from using the SSbF feature.

Also, once you toggle on the SSbF feature, and you open a folder that needs to have Symbol Scale toggled on, and it is not - you have to toggle off the SSbF first, and then turn on Symbol Scale, and then toggle the SSbF back on. Again, this is very confusing.

Neil:

I don't think it's as "problematic" as you say if you understand how it works. If you have Symbol Scale by Folder enabled, then the Symbol Scale in the left-hand menu is a temporary override while you inserting a Symbol. By enabling Symbol Scale by Folder, you are telling DataCAD that you want it to use the Symbol Scale setting in the Symbol Browser's Options menu by default. When Symbol Scale by Folder is checked, the left-hand menu's Symbol Scale toggle will be over-ruled by the SB's Options menu with subsequent symbol insertions if you change the Symbol Scale in the left-hand menu. If this is too complicated, I would suggest that you not utilize the Symbol Scale by Folder option.

Dave
#66180 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:10 pm
Here is a little video that might help make sense of what is going on with the Symbol Scale and the Symbol Scale By Folder guys. Sorry the volume is a bit low :? Annnnd Dave beats me again ;) It does make sense once you understand what it's doing. Love it!
http://youtu.be/U5FCD4Oorsg
#66186 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:38 pm
I think I understand, too. But, the Symbol Scale on the Options menu is grayed out, when I have SSbF toggled on, and and changes to the symbol menu doesn't stick.

I'll watch the video tomorrow, and see if I am missing something. But so far, I cannot figure out how to get SSbF to work the way I need it to.
#66188 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:16 am
So Josh, it was the very last thing you said: when you have already selected a symbol, you can no longer toggle Symbol Scale in the Options menu. Which is totally confusing, because you can toggle it in the symbol menu - in fact this is exactly when you need to toggle it, because you can see that it is not set correctly after you select a symbol, and not before.

We have dozens of symbol folders, and not all are set correctly, so having the Symbol Scale button grayed out after you select a symbol is the thing that confuses people. It is on a pulldown menu, and you cannot see whether Symbol Scale is on or off until you select a symbol, and then you have to know the difference between the two places you can toggle Symbol Scale - that is only different when you have SSbF toggled on, and that is only shown on a pulldown menu.

I hope this clarifies the source of the confusion.
#66192 by joshhuggins
Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:23 pm
So maybe the Symbol Scale in the SB options menu should be labeled something like "Use Symbol Scale for current folder"? (but smaller so it fits in the menu) to help show that it is a different function that the button which is in the Datacad menu? That makes sense to me and I now understand where the confusion happens. Good catch Neil, gets my vote. :)