Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#65590 by Robert Scott
Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:19 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:The way I can think of is to use Highlighting, and keep that independent of the parent XRef.

Yes, I'm using highlighting to change the line from solid to dashed and the color from white to light grey which is my "screened" color. Not seeing an option to change line-weight from 2 to 1.
#65591 by Roger D
Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:25 am
have you tried to make the whole xref a line weight of 1?
#65592 by Robert Scott
Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:47 am
Roger D wrote:have you tried to make the whole xref a line weight of 1?

I did try that...doesn't do anything. My XREF is just of single layer...my wall layer. I "could" just copy that layer and make changes as a work around.
#65593 by Roger D
Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:25 pm
might add a wish list item to have that ability in the xref manager.
#65594 by David Porter
Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:06 pm
I concur with that getting added as a wishlist item. Dave has nothing better to do so he should be able to get right on this. ;-)

Lots of times, I make a self Xref of the floor plan to use as a lighter background drawing for my electrical plans, plumbing plans, and HVAC plans. Makes those plans read for what they should be showing but the plan elements are still very visible. I use lineweights on my actual drawing to pop out walls, doors, etc., rather than doing that by color and pen numbers during the plotting stage. Probably a throw-back to my manual drafting days. When I make the self xRef, I can change its color to the pen color that I have set to print at a 35% level and that makes the shaded background plan. But, the lines that I have made bolder on the drawing remain as bolder, shaded lines and are more distracting to the base drawing than I would prefer. Having an option to turn the xRef into one particular line weight would be a great addition.
#65597 by Robert Scott
Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:34 pm
My use is very much the same as David Porter. Good to see another user holding onto line-weights ;) I work with line-weight turned on most of the time as we don't have the speed hit we experienced in the early years. Might be a throw back to my early days on the board with pen and mylar.
I'm also using a lighter background (80% grey) for my framing and electrical plans as a base.

Taking this off topic...here's my pen table that has worked well with slight modifications over the last 15 years and a screen shot of a drawing in process.
Anyone else up for sharing their pen tables and a sample...might be a good diversion from the frozen tundra here in Michigan :)

Bob
Attachments
Pen Table.JPG
Pen Table.JPG (82.36 KiB) Viewed 16347 times
Sample.JPG
#65610 by David Porter
Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:56 pm
Sure, I'm game. Actually, since all of us using DataCAD are probably visual thinkers due to the program we use, I think it's a good idea for lots of group sharing of how we each use the program to our personal style. Below is an electrical plan I just completed. All of the background plan lines were color 126 which then prints to the shaded linetype noted in my Pen Table.
Attachments
Pen table.png
Elec plan.png
#65614 by Robert Scott
Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:19 pm
Well said David! A picture is certainly worth a 1000 words!

Here's a clip from one of my works in progress using a XREF, dashed background mapped to a 80% grey (pen 10) on my pen table above.
I can live with not being able to control the line weight but there must be something I'm doing or not doing that is allowing the xref to print above my black lines? Pushing it back would certainly help the situation....taking my Photoshop hat off now :)
Attachments
SCH_Eco-Acres-Parcel-5_6JAN15.jpg
#65618 by Roger D
Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:39 pm
I would try 2 things.
1. Make the xref layer earlier in your layer list before all your notes.
2. Make the shaded pens all earlier in your pen list.

From the Manual - "The print order depends on pen numbering."

A couple notes:
I see you are using Pen 15 as a 0,0 setting, you can now use Pen 0 for non plotting.
I see you have many colors above the 1st 16 set to pen 2, if you want to print a fill area in a color, say color 45 (red tone) if that color is set to Pen = 16, it will print the screen color.
#65619 by Robert Scott
Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:13 pm
Tried putting the xref on its own layer first in line using layer manager....same issue.
I suspect it is a pen order issue which I don't see me changing..about 150 plans set up that way ;)
I could use a reverse pen order plotting option :)

Roger D wrote:I would try 2 things.
1. Make the xref layer earlier in your layer list before all your notes.
2. Make the shaded pens all earlier in your pen list.

From the Manual - "The print order depends on pen numbering."

A couple notes:
I see you are using Pen 15 as a 0,0 setting, you can now use Pen 0 for non plotting.
I see you have many colors above the 1st 16 set to pen 2, if you want to print a fill area in a color, say color 45 (red tone) if that color is set to Pen = 16, it will print the screen color.
#65620 by Roger D
Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:20 pm
Robert Scott wrote:Tried putting the xref on its own layer first in line using layer manager....same issue.
I suspect it is a pen order issue which I don't see me changing..about 150 plans set up that way ;)
I could use a reverse pen order plotting option :)

I hear you on having many plans (let's see 20 years now, 20-30 projects per year, many projects having multiple drawings) quick search of .aec files, over 3,000, plus .dc5 and .dc3 that I haven't counted.

You could check on this one drawing the pen order to see if that did solve your problem, and if so, maybe for these drawings you could use a 2nd pen table for Mech/Elec dwgs????
#65623 by Robert Scott
Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:36 pm
That did the trick and I think my new revised pen table will work well with the archived files.
Pen 15 can be switched to a printing pen now since we have "0" as a non printing slot.

Thanks Roger!
Attachments
RSRD_6JAN15.JPG
RSRD_6JAN15.JPG (81.82 KiB) Viewed 16289 times