Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#65724 by jbridge337
Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:49 pm
Fig-247-Unfolding-the-Envelope-of-a-Right-Cone.jpg
Fig-247-Unfolding-the-Envelope-of-a-Right-Cone.jpg (3.58 KiB) Viewed 13452 times
Is there a way to unfold or create a surface from a 3d model? For example, model a cone in DataCAD and generate a 2d output to create that form.

Thanks
#65729 by Robert Scott
Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 pm
I can't help you with this in regards to DataCAD 3D but if you also use Sketchup there is an "unfold" rubie that does this.

Robert
#65736 by joshhuggins
Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:40 pm
I think this would work for your cone. Someone would have to double check me on this to make sure I'm not missing something. Been a while since I've done this. :wink:

Lets say you have a cone with a radius of 1'-6" and a height of 5'

I would draw a circle with a radius of 1'-6". Do an erase partial and snap to the same point three time to break the circle into a arc. Then use Measures, Arc Length to get the length of the arc, which is 9'-5 3/32". I would then draw a 5'-0" line. Then I would go into Curves, Curve Data. Set the Radius Point To one end of the line. Then set Start Point to the other end of the line. Input the Arc Length as 9'-5 3/32". That should populate the remaining curve data, and then click the Add button and the curve should be drawn. Then connect the last gap with a line.

For truncated cone it's similar, but you figure both the top and bottom arc lengths, and reverse the start and radius points of each.

For more complex polygon based shapes I would probably explode into polygons, recolor for easier tracking, and manually 3D rotate the pieces to build the flat shape.
#65742 by jbridge337
Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:26 pm
Thanks Josh, I'm pretty sure something along those lines will work for a cone. Ultimately, looking for software that will work for more complex forms - think revolved surfaces that have been altered and are very asymmetrical . I realize that this is most likely outside the realms of a program designed for architecture, thought I would check here first since it is what I am familiar with.

Thanks again for your thoughts.