Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#65779 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:36 am
Hi,

I need to draw a floor drain, so I drew a 6" diameter circle. I then drew the X and Y axis lines (I have Quadrant snap set), and I offset these 3/4" in each direction. I then used Free Trim to get rid of the end segments. And it works about 2/3rds of the time, but the issues are:

It erases the entire line instead of just the shortest end overlaps.
It leaves a point at the intersection of the longer segments, where they crossed each other.

Can anyone confirm this?
#65782 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:55 pm
I'm not seeing any of this, it's trimming as expected and no points left. What is your miss distance set to? We use 10 here. Could it be inferred snapping? Not using that here.
#65787 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 pm
Miss Distance is set to 20, and I am still using the middle button to snap.

I have used Free Trim quite often, and this is the first time I have had this sort of problem. I will try it in a new drawing.

Edit: I just tried it in a new drawing, and the same things occurred. I use a keyboard shortcut to get to the Free Trim menu, and I select it by Area. After hitting Begin, I just select the segments to erase with the left button. No object snapping is involved.
#65789 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:16 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:It erases the entire line instead of just the shortest end overlaps.
It leaves a point at the intersection of the longer segments, where they crossed each other.
So I can duplicate this if I snap towards the end of the line near the circle. If I just lift click to pick anywhere including near the same point that snapping causes the issue it still works correctly. Are you sure inferred snapping is not enabled in the program prefs?
#65836 by Nick Pyner
Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:17 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:Can anyone confirm this?

No. Is this an overshoot problem?

I'm using using DCad to design circuit boards, i.e. tight scale like you, and use freetrim a lot. I recall stumbling with overshoot.
#65840 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:01 pm
Nick Pyner wrote:No. Is this an overshoot problem?
No. No overshoots here.
#65849 by Keithster
Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:56 pm
(New to the Forum.)
I tried this free trim issue, making drain circle etc. When I click on one end of the line that I want trimmed, that little tip does erase. But when I trim the other end, on the other side of the circle, the long line disappears and a little dot is left. It's almost like free trim is working on the line as if it's dashed not solid. So it's registering my click in the wrong place? or a rounding error?

Keith
#65864 by dmartens
Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:24 pm
Neil
1. Draw a rectangle 7 1/2" square with ctr pt on
2. snap to ctr pt and draw circle with a 3" radius

no offsetting or cleanup involved. though the rectangle may be more of a challenge if you use dir/dist input.
#65867 by Roger D
Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:10 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:I need to draw a floor drain, so I drew a 6" diameter circle. I then drew the X and Y axis lines (I have Quadrant snap set), and I offset these 3/4" in each direction. I then used Free Trim to get rid of the end segments. And it works about 2/3rds of the time, but the issues are:

I avoid that problem by using the net hatch to create the grid in the circle, fewer entities. Put on it's own layer in a symbol, and you can even not show it at small scales by setting the layers max/min scales.