Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#66330 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:51 pm
Hi,

A little background so you get a clearer picture: on a hotel guest room renovation project, we have 21 floor plans, and there are 20 room types, and many of those also have a mirrored version. We need to draw construction documents for each room plan, and the building floor plans are "built" with XRef's of each room type.

We have existing floor plans, and those get XRef'd into the new floor plans - and the XRef is highlighted to show everything as red dashed lines. When you erase a wall to demo it, the XRef shows up to show what gets demolished. This is one level of XRef nesting.

To further streamline the drafting, the mirrored plans are XRef'ing the "regular plan" and then have the text and dims and furniture - or any other thing that won't work correctly mirrored will get drawn on the XRef. This nests the regular room plan in the mirrored room plan, and then that gets used in the building floor plans.

The regular rooms on the building plan two levels of nesting. The mirrored rooms have three levels.

Now, the issue: in the mirrored room plans, the X-Clip boundary of the demo XRef is showing up in it's original position; though the demo XRef is showing up the way it should.

This is a relatively minor issue, because it doesn't affect the plot. But, it is an issue, that maybe can be fixed?
#66331 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:23 pm
Neil:

Only if we can get a relatively simple drawing that illustrates the problem. A drawing as complex as you are describing is going to make it difficult for me to correct the problem you are describing. A drawing with "N" number of XRefs (as "N" approaches infinity) and Nesting enabled will only test the patience of small-brained programmers (like myself) to the point of disinterest in resolving the issue.

Sincerely and with respect,
Dave
#66332 by joshhuggins
Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:57 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:the X-Clip boundary of the demo XRef is showing up in it's original position
I think I follow you Neil. Meaning the xclip for the first level nested plan is not getting mirrored with the xref when viewed thru the third level xref? Have you played with the 'Nested XClips and SClips' Merge with Parent clip cube setting in the Ref Manager just to see what happens when toggled on/off?

I would guess that it's just the mirroring of the xclip has not been programed in to resolve this at this depth. Question is, at how many levels should it be expected to be resolved? 2,3, more? I could see poor Dave's head exploding trying to make this work. I can see how this would be great to have more/infinite number of levels to be handled, to solve a need just as your are doing. I think resolving to 2 levels should be expected to work "flawlessly", and sounds like it works fine. Beyond that would be great if Dave could find a way to handle it but I went crossed-eye just reading about it, can't imagine the programming needed for not only with the xclips, but all the text, dims and symbol mirroring at the deeper levels.

For work around options for now, could you just build the mirrored bases then just have a second level of nesting all around for now? Or maybe use symbols instead of xrefs since they can also be clipped? Or in addition/option to that, you could maybe use the xref/self-xref bind to symbol <-> Convert Xref/self xref to symbol to create a manual back and forth relationship to be able to update the bases when needed? (See New features #21 in version 12.08.00 from Revision history file) kind of like using the reload command on a symbol to update from a first level xref, then reconvert it back to a symbol. Obviously not quite as automatic as the first suggestion.
Wonder what using auto-reload on a symbol converted from an xref converted from a symbol would do? Image
#66338 by David A. Giesselman
Fri May 01, 2015 2:30 pm
Thanks for the file Neil, I've corrected the issue for the next update.

Regards,
Dave
#66340 by joshhuggins
Fri May 01, 2015 2:34 pm
Daaaaaaang! You da man!
#66341 by MtnArch
Fri May 01, 2015 10:58 pm
I do **NOT** want to know how you (Josh) found THAT image!