Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#67159 by David Porter
Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:27 pm
Is there a way in 3D to create a sort of 3D pipe where the cylinder has a thickness but is hollow inside. Sort of like how a hole can be cut out of a slab by using Voids. I know I can trace around the circle to create a segmented slab and then another segmented slab inside of the outer circle and make that a void. Was hoping for a function that would go as quickly as creating a window hole in a 3D slab.

Similarly, is there a way to create a 3D cylinder that then has an indented reveal that does not extend all the way through the cylinder and leaves a raised ring around the cylinder?
#67160 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:33 pm
David Porter wrote:Is there a way in 3D to create a sort of 3D pipe where the cylinder has a thickness but is hollow inside. Sort of like how a hole can be cut out of a slab by using Voids. I know I can trace around the circle to create a segmented slab and then another segmented slab inside of the outer circle and make that a void. Was hoping for a function that would go as quickly as creating a window hole in a 3D slab.
I would use a covered polyline.

David Porter wrote:Similarly, is there a way to create a 3D cylinder that then has an indented reveal that does not extend all the way through the cylinder and leaves a raised ring around the cylinder?
I would use a series of boolean operations for this. Downside is the geometry gets crazy busy/high count with the triangulation process, but it usually works well.
#67163 by David Porter
Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:35 pm
Oh, wow, was that easy. Thanks Josh and Mark. Some of the hair on my head will now remain attached for a few more weeks.