Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#67182 by Rashid Garuba
Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:12 pm
I have 3 things that I would like to stop that frustrate me each day in Datacad..

I use ALT-I all the time to change from task to task.. If I am making notes and see a dimension needs to be added, I Alt-I on the nearest dimension and draw my dimension.. Alt-I on a text string to get back to notations.. Please let me know if there is a quicker way to work..

ARROWS.. I dislike the default 3.0 aspect arrows.. Somehow Datacad always goes back to 3.0 So I always have to input 1.0 again.. I wish 1.0 would stay. Could be my Alt-I on to text or dimension sets it back to 3.0??

DIMENSIONS.. Does anyone find Line 1 or Line on/off toggle useful?? So I very often find Line one is turned off.. Apparently Stringline toggle turns off Line 1.. Drive me nuts to have to turn Line 1 on again. I just upgraded from 11 to 17 and I this NEVER happened in 11 but I called Datacad and was condescendingly told I am imagining things. There should have been no difference in the transition.. Well it irritates me so. Does anyone NEED line 1 (or Line 2) turned off? Somewhere it preferences it would be nice to force Line and Line 2 on forever.

TEXT.. Basic text in Version 11 kept it's alignment left permanently. Now I very often make a note and it's aligned right. Very irritating to say the least. All began with Version 17.

I have lived with these for quite a while and I am thinking I should not have to..

Thanks...
#67185 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:04 pm
Rashid Garuba wrote:I use ALT-I all the time to change from task to task.. If I am making notes and see a dimension needs to be added, I Alt-I on the nearest dimension and draw my dimension.. Alt-I on a text string to get back to notations.. Please let me know if there is a quicker way to work.
I think that's how most of us do it on the fly. You could create toolbar or Alias macros that would set all of the values for each type of entity you want, and instantly jump to start creating the type of entity. You can learn more about macro programming on my website or ask here on the Datacad Forum's DDN section for more info if you think you would be interested.

Rashid Garuba wrote:ARROWS.. I dislike the default 3.0 aspect arrows.. Somehow Datacad always goes back to 3.0 So I always have to input 1.0 again.. I wish 1.0 would stay. Could be my Alt-I on to text or dimension sets it back to 3.0??
Set this in your base file and you shouldn't have to mess with it again unless you Alt+I on an existing arrow that has a different value than what you want.

Rashid Garuba wrote:DIMENSIONS.. Does anyone find Line 1 or Line on/off toggle useful?? So I very often find Line one is turned off.. Apparently Stringline toggle turns off Line 1.. Drive me nuts to have to turn Line 1 on again. I just upgraded from 11 to 17 and I this NEVER happened in 11 but I called Datacad and was condescendingly told I am imagining things. There should have been no difference in the transition.. Well it irritates me so. Does anyone NEED line 1 (or Line 2) turned off? Somewhere it preferences it would be nice to force Line and Line 2 on forever.
In your dcadwin.ini file locate the following value and set it to False to have Datacad always use what is set in your dimension menus.
Code: Select all[General]
Suppress Witness Line 1=False

Rashid Garuba wrote:TEXT.. Basic text in Version 11 kept it's alignment left permanently. Now I very often make a note and it's aligned right. Very irritating to say the least. All began with Version 17.
The text menu should stay set to what ever you last used, until you manually change it, or Alt+I on text with a different alignment.
#67187 by Rashid Garuba
Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:23 pm
Josh,

So the bulk of the problem is I tend to use older files as a starting point and I will need to remember to globally reset text.. Unfortunately a lot of old text re-aligns poorly requiring a lot of re-positioning... Or edit my text macro to use Paratext from now on..

Thanks for you help.