Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#69502 by Hundreds of Bears
Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:31 am
This is an issue we've been dealing with since DataCAD 15

see the original forum post here: https://www.datacad.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=13657&p=60962

To recap: When exporting to a .dwg file, the text size comes out too big and out of place. This issue is fixed by placing the file chr2shx.dat in the directory C:\DataCADXX\Fonts\

I've been dutifully doing this, and/or reminding/helping everyone in our office with every new version of DataCAD.... Until 18.

The file is in the folder, DataCAD has been closed and reopened, my PC restarted, the file appears to be intact.

And, it's just not working.

Anyone else experiencing this? OR Have a solution?

In the meantime I'm using 17 for exports.
#69503 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:45 am
DXF_DWG_Tab.jpg
DXF_DWG_Tab.jpg (87.44 KiB) Viewed 9985 times
What is the state of the 'Use CHR2SHX.DAT to Adjust Text' checkbox on the DXF/DWG Tab of Program Preferences? This corresponds to the following DCADWIN.INI key:

[DXF_DWG]
Adjust Text Sizing=FALSE
#69622 by Hundreds of Bears
Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:19 pm
OKAY... soooo.

THIS DOES NOT WORK.

I am pulling my hair out... Every time I check this stupid box hit apply, and then okay, and then close program preference and reopen it the box is un-checked.

meanwhile all the text is still waaaay too big in AutoCAD

also I can't the find dcadwin.ini

This is useless... I am so irritated right now.
#69627 by joshhuggins
Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:41 pm
Open the file in a simple text editor and you can adjust the values as needed. You can also add/replace fonts that may not be listed. Takes some testing.
#69639 by Hundreds of Bears
Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:02 am
Okay,

So I've done a few experiments at this point.

the Text resizing is working, but I had t edit the CHR2SHX.dat file to get the text size in AutoCAD close to right...

This never seemed to be a problem with DCAD 17 ... has something changed in the way DataCAD handles/exports text for version 18?

The other related issue I'm having, is that whether Adjust Text Sizing=TRUE, or FALSE (in dcadwin.ini) the corresponding check box in the Program Preference [DWG/DXF] dialogue is ALWAYS unchecked.

This is disconcerting. Is there any chance we could get a patch, so the checkbox reflects the actual setting from the dcadwin.ini file ?

I hope this all makes sense. Thanks to everyone for their quick responses, time and expertise.
#69642 by joshhuggins
Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:12 am
Hundreds of Bears wrote:This never seemed to be a problem with DCAD 17 ... has something changed in the way DataCAD handles/exports text for version 18?
In v 18.03 the CHR2SHX.dat file is now included in the Fonts folder by default. Before we had to add it in ourselves and Datacad would automatically use the file if it was present. It should have only been enabled in v18.03 if the checkbox at the bottom of the DXF/DWG tab of the Program Prefs was checked, but Mark M. is still working out some of the kinks in the new Program Pref tabs so maybe it's state was set to on after the update and that's when you noticed the exporting not going as planned. That's just a guess. I'd set the value manually in a text editor to what you want and ignore the dialog check box until they can get it patched up. Enabling the files use and getting the values set in the CHR2SHX.dat file is probably the way to get the closest export to what you have in Datacad vs. not using the file.