Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#69960 by Sir Rixalot
Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:03 pm
Hello, I am trying to update some title block templates at my office and came upon an issue. I opened an aec that has an office standard title block. The grid (shown in the image) is a symbol within the drawing. I double click on the symbol to open it up for editing. I make my edits, save and close the dsf, and I see the changes that I made reflected in that drawing. I would expect that any other drawing I open is using the same dsf for the grid and would be updated as well. However, only the original drawing that I opened to get to the dsf shows the changes. If I open another title block template and double click on the grid to open it as a dsf, the path shown in the upper left corner of the screen tells me that it is the same dsf as the one that I edited in the original drawing. To my understanding, once I make changes and save a dsf, any other drawing that I open should show my updates as long as it's using the same symbol (or dsf).

Another thing that I do not understand is that if I try to follow the path (shown in the upper left hand corner of the image) I cannot find it in File Explorer.

Does anybody out there have an idea of what is going on here?

I am using DataCAD 18 on Windows 10 64bit.

Thank You
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Cannot find the path to this in File Explorer. Where is DataCAD getting this dsf from?
#69961 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:57 am
Once a symbol has been added to a drawing, any edit's made to that symbol only live in that drawing. The path you see is actually just kind of a visual refrence to let you know the where the symbol originally came from. In order to update the symbol on the hard drive or on a server, you need to either Ctrl+right click on the symbol in the drawing board and pick Symbol Tools, Save As and save it over the file on your hard drive, which it should default to the path and file name shown as you mentioned.

I made a overly complicated image to help aid in an office meeting on all the different ways symbols relate to a drawing when inserted exploded, inserted unexploded, when they are reloaded or nested. I made it several years ago but I think it all still holds true. It might help, or it might not make sense without some more explanation. The blue boxes represent symbols. Just hop back here if you need more info and we will get you going.
Attachments
Symbol Structure.png
#69962 by Sir Rixalot
Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:47 pm
Okay, I will try the ctrl+right click on the symbol when I get a chance. Not knowing that tidbit is what was creating a barrier for me. Hopefully, I will be able to fix this grid ONE time and not have to see the ugly errors in it ever again :lol: Thank you for your help.