Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#70031 by GARY247
Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:30 am
Our office staff has been experiencing Datacad crashes. Has anyone else had this problem and if so were you able to correct it?
#70033 by MtnArch
Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:08 am
When is it crashing - opening a file, saving a file, inserting a symbol, trying to access an xref, or ...?
#70043 by GARY247
Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:47 pm
It is not any particular thing. Mostly when I am trying to do something with xref clip cubes, moving symbols, etc. I keep getting the note fault 11 error 809.
#70897 by Mark Bell
Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:31 am
Hi Gary,

I get this with the xrefs and it can waste hours rebuilding the drawing file.. The big problem I've found is once a file begins to crash it corrupts the xref layer. If you save a DLF of each xref layer and check the file size they should be around 8kb - 24 kb. I've found once a drawing with xrefs keeps crashing, not only does the drawing file size start to increase but it also takes longer to save, display etc. The only fix I've found is to use the Repair Tool first to remove any unwanted entities, odd z-b/z-h etc. then reload the xref layer by going back to a file before the crashes started to occur, saving out the DLF of the xref layer(s) and replacing the ones in the current file and purging to create a new file. I had a corrupt xref layer yesterday that was about 135MB yet once I went back to an earlier file the same xref layer was back to 8KB and loaded straight away. Other problem areas are exiting MSP or opening an MSP sheet with a problematic xref in - the drawing crashes immediately or the error you note below.
#70909 by Mark Bell
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:28 pm
Hello Gary,
Prior to opening a drawing, go to the top left of the DataCAD screen and pick File then Repair should be shown in the drop down menu. Pick the drawing file you're working on when the menu window opens then follow the prompts. I'd toggle off Flatten 2D entities as your drawing may use entities at different z-b/z-h within clipcubes and this will lost. It also allows you to open the drawing without loading the xrefs as a way of getting into the drawing if an xref is causing it to crash on opening. It's a useful tool and can also be used to 'cleanup' symbols which may also have corrupt entities in them.
#78613 by seasdes
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:40 am
See my post under "How Do I Stop Files Containing XRefs From Crashing" in the How To sub forum for another cause of a XRef crash.