Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#74900 by BEMArchitect
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm
I've posted a few times in past and was slooooooooooolllllllyyyyyy (like 2 years) transitioning from DC10 to DC18, but now I have been forced to make the switch overnight. Old computer with DC10 and Windows 7 died on me in the middle of 4 new projects this morning.

So, how do you turn off the "id markers" on the cursor that identifies "endpoint", "intersection", etc.? These are very annoying.

Also, can you set a certain color pallet and pen table to be the default, instead of the standard datacad color pallet and pen table?
#74901 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:06 pm
In v20 it's found in the Program Prefs, on the Drawing tab under Dynamic Snapping. In v18 it should be in a similar location.

Easiest method for your second question would be to setup your default drawings to use a specific color palette and pen table.

Other option is you can set the default color palette file used by Datacad with new drawings by editing the dcadwin.ini file setting shown below.

[PaletteFile]
RGBFile=Default.rgb
#74904 by BEMArchitect
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 am
Thanks Josh.....got those "id markers" turned off!

I'm somewhat illiterate when it comes to tweaking actual datacad files.....where is the dacadwin.ini file located?

When I set that default color palette, would the [Palette File] read similar to this if I changed it:

RGBFile=MyPalette.rgb?

MyPalette.rgb being my personal palette that I want to default to. Thanks in advance for all the help.
#74905 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:33 am
In your Datacad folder (default would be C:\DataCAD 18\) there is a file called dcadwin.ini that can be opened with a simple text editor like notepad where you would change the value just as you correctly did in your reply above.
#74907 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:25 pm
BEMArchitect wrote:Another question. Is there a way to lock the datacad menu in place when your in a drawing file?
In order to have it locked into place, the menu needs to be docked into the main Datacad window somewhere, meaning it can't be free floating on it's own. Check to verify that View, Lock toolbars is NOT checked. If it is, uncheck it. Then snap the menu and any other toolbars into your desired locations and then go up to View, Lock Toolbars to lock things into place.

You can use View, Toolbars to toggle on/off other toolbars and interface components to customize the interface for your needs and workflow.
#74909 by BEMArchitect
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:23 pm
Awesome Josh....got my toolbars locked into place. But, that doesn't lock the actual DataCAD Menu that defaults to the left side of a drawing. I like it on the right side, and would like it to lock into place unless I unlocked it. Any solution for that?

Really appreciate all the help, I actually was able to do some production work today because of your help.
#74910 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:53 pm
Double check that toolbars are unlocked and then you should be able to drag it to "dock" on the right side of the screen. Make sure your actual cursor hits the right side of the screen to dock it not just the menu you're moving. It should work.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#74913 by BEMArchitect
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 pm
Josh...….you are THE MAN! That did it.....I wasn't dragging my cursor over to the right all the way. Thank you SO MUCH. I can't promise I wont be asking more dumb questions, but this gets me going now!
#74914 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:34 pm
BEMArchitect wrote:Josh...….you are THE MAN! That did it.....I wasn't dragging my cursor over to the right all the way. Thank you SO MUCH. I can't promise I wont be asking more dumb questions, but this gets me going now!

Brady,

The only "dumb" questions are those that are not asked. And yes, Josh is "The Man!" ;)

Dave
#74918 by BEMArchitect
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:19 pm
Well you said to keep them coming so here is another one.

Doing a site plan for the first time in DC18, and drawing a cul-de-sac with a radius of 45'. The "90' diameter cul-de-sac displays as a square, and I've changed the aspect ratio to numerous values....nothing works. This may have to do with my lines and text looking "fuzzy" and fatter than they really are when I zoom in.

Suggestions?
#74920 by MtnArch
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:50 pm
If you're using any linetype outside of the first four they will likely "block-up". I have this happen with property lines (I like using the Propline linetype) and curves don't work with it - I have to change them to the Dot Dash linetype.

You might also check your Arc factor setting (Display/Arc Factor) - if it's 1 or smaller the arcs get blocky. I normally change mine to 10 to see the smoothest curves.
#74929 by Roger D
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:35 am
You could also use a Pen Style for Property Line.
#74935 by BEMArchitect
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:07 pm
Thanks for the replies, but changing the arc factor to 10 didn't work for me, and yes, the dot-dash line works fine but I like a property line to look like a property line. However, I don't need to be that darn picky, though it seems to me if all this great drawing technology can do what it does, then a property line should display in a radius as a property line.

Roger, I tried using a "pen style" for the property (have no idea what that is) but it didn't change the line at all. I propably did something wrong, and need to find it in the manual.

Thanks again!