Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 18 and DataCAD LT 18.
#77464 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:10 pm
Evan_H_Shu_FAIA.jpg
Evan_H_Shu_FAIA.jpg (37.32 KiB) Viewed 1324 times

Evan H. Shu, FAIA (1953 – 2020)

My heart is broken. I've lost a dear friend, and the DataCAD Community has lost a champion.

On January 12, 2020, Evan H. Shu, FAIA passed away surrounded by family and friends at his bedside. Evan has gone on to meet his children, Melanie Hope and Noah Bernard Evan, who went on before him. He is with his parents, Dr. Ruby Inouye, and Dr. Evan Shu Sr. He leaves behind his wife Annamarie and children Amanda and Nate.

My first introduction to Evan was at a DBUG meeting in 1990. This was a formative year for me. I was twenty-four and my father had recently died. Due to the faltering economy, I lost my job working for a design-build firm. So, I decided to start my own company as Madura Studios, and became a DataCAD reseller.

Evan published the first issue of Cheap Tricks in December that year. The October '91 issue featured a drawing I created by tracing freehand over a printout of a wireframe perspective. This article inspired me to create a line type definition based on one of Evan’s own freehand drawings. Evan was skeptical at first but impressed when I submitted my Wiggle line type for distribution in the Cheap Tricks Ware catalog. I think this is what cemented the beginning of our long-term relationship.

When I joined Cadkey in 1995, Evan and I began our ‘Monthly Chats’ to discuss the goings on and future of DataCAD. The summary of our conversations would be included in Cheap Tricks’ monthly Letter from the Editor. Back then, DataCAD 7 was the next major upgrade and we continued those chats over twenty-two years up to the very last issue in 2017. Our discussions always managed to segue from DataCAD on to other topics ranging from new technologies to family and our own health.

I often had the pleasure of introducing Evan to attendees at DataCAD conferences; "Co-founder of the DataCAD Boston Users' Group, Moderator of the DBUG Internet Forum, Co-author of CADD and the Small Firm, Editor of Cheap Tricks Newsletter, Curator of Cheap Tricks Ware, and also an Architect." I should have included, loving husband and dedicated father.

In 2000, I had the honor of writing a letter of recommendation to the Jury of Fellows asking them to recognize Evan with the AIA's highest membership honor for his exceptional work and contributions to architecture and society. In 2001, I attended the ceremony at the AIA National Convention where Evan was admitted to the College of Fellows.

I’ve was always impressed by Evan’s ability to apply CADD to the problem of architecture and his willingness to teach other architects how to take advantage of this medium. Throughout all the ups and downs over the years, Evan was supportive, positive, and optimistic; a true friend and colleague. He has had a directly positive and lasting impact on my career. I can't believe this day has come, but here we are.

Evan, I will surely miss our Monthly Chats. Here’s to your own segue from this life into the next.

Memorial Service
A Memorial Service will be held for Evan at Old South Church in Boston on Saturday, January 25, at 2:00 p.m. All are welcome to attend if they are so inclined.

Support for the Shu Family
As a last gift, for a man who gave so much and was one of the saints of this world, he gave the life-giving miracle of organ donation. To support his family, wife Annamarie and children Amanda and Nate, we have created this page to provide at least some basic support to the family over the coming months.

Meal Train
https://mealtrain.com/ze5k9y

Caring Bridge
https://www.caringbridge.org/public/evanshu