Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#80068 by boereboere
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:48 am
I religiously backed up my files, today I need to access a backup as a client wishes to do alterations to the project.
I lost all my files with the "magic win 10 system update" and had 2 laptops crashed/ruined in the process.
Luckily I have a backup drive.
BUT - unable to access those files.
win 10 - datacad 18
If I double click a file to open it delivers a 101 error.
When I go to the folder to open the file I get " don't have permission"
So after all the years of backing up, I still cannot access my data.
Any help.
NO I don't have a datacad subscription.
#80162 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:18 pm
I would guess it's a Windows user/owner permission setting on the folder or the drive where the backups are stored that is causing all of the issues. First question, what method did you use to create the backup files? Did you use a backup program or script something to copy the files to the drive or to the drive thru a windows share? Did you manually drag and drop the files to the drive?

One thing you could check is right click on a root folder that contains your files on the backup drive, and select Properties. Go to the Security Tab, click Advanced button, who is listed as the Owner? is it your name or a S- and a long string of characters?
#80417 by boereboere
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:04 pm
thanks Josh, yes I used third party backup software - If I can remember it was so long ago. I will have a look at your suggestion. Apologies for taking so long to get back to you, i somehow asssumed I would get a notification of replies. I am not stuck again as I have lost the optioin of manually inputting x and y values ...