Found a hidden feature or want to share a time-saving shortcut? Let us all know...

Copy when you meant to move? Or Move when you meant to copy?

50%
50%
#47626 by Robert Peters
Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:30 pm
When I copy objects I've been teaching myself to use the "Copy - Drag" command instead of using the check box in the "Move" command because I can't imagine the amount of times I copied when I meant to move or moved when I meant to copy. For copy now I hit "C" then "F7" for drag. For moving objects I can now use the "m" then "F1" and I don't have to remember to look over at the the "and copy" button to see if it is green. So simple I'm embarrased to admit it!
I've been using this program for over twenty years and I am still finding ways to use it better.
#47631 by Tony Blasio
Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:31 pm
I have set the INI setting to not remember the AndCopy status. This when whenever I use Move the AndCopy toggle is off regardless.

[General]
AndCopyRemembersStatus=FALSE
#47636 by Paul Nida
Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:10 pm
This can be turned on/off from within the program in the Program Preferences/Misc tab.
#47639 by dmartens
Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:44 am
I have only been using DC since V10 and I know C,F7 was there. When I work on dwgs done by someone else in our office I have to turn off the and copy toggle. Don't know why you would want to use move to copy something. Thats what copy is for.
#47641 by ORWoody
Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:26 am
I incorporated an easy solution to being able to have both options available.
I used the Alt+keys... I have set one key (Alt+R Relocate) to go directly to Move-drag. I have another (Alt+Y Copy) set to Copy-drag. By not ever resetting my move to the copy option, one always moves only and the other copies.
It would work fine with the ini file set to never make a copy when moving, but this works well also.
Woody