Found a hidden feature or want to share a time-saving shortcut? Let us all know...
#49550 by DBrennfoerder
Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:31 am
How to scale details has always been a problem. I have one guy who drafts in the "real world" off to the side of the page, then copy/enlarges to the page within the title block area for printing. If he needs to revise, then copy/enlarge/invert to the side, make the changes, and repeat. If everyone in the office did that way, it might be ok. If an entire sheet is 3/4" scale, then the title block might be adjusted accordingly, but then if one detail might be another size, then you have to do the math to make it work.

I have a better solution than one I posted last summer. Then, I used 8 layers, one to draft at a scale, another to print at 1/8" scale, and repeat for 3 other common scales. That was complex when copying into a new drawing and having to redefine 8 xrefs properly. We like to have all sheets plot at 1/8" scale and draft accordingly.

I've learned that I can have any number of self-xref's on a single layer, making each one them enlarge at a proper factor so that if something is drawing "real world" in one box, it appears at a chosen scale inside the print area.

My title block is xref'd to surround the large box at the upper left. Anything drafted in any of the 4 boxes stacked on the right will appear enlarged appropriately in the title block area when the title block is printed at 1/8" scale. If you like printing at "full scale", just adjust the xref enlargements accordingly. If you draft one detail and decide you wanted it to appear at a different scale, just move it to a different box.
#49552 by Roger D
Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:28 pm
The only time one needs to worry about scale is when it comes to entering text, detail indicator symbols and dimensions. Everything that has a size should be drawn at that size and never changed just to get it to plot correctly.
Enlarging for plotting is like not using associative dimensions and putting any number in that you feel like. Every time you do it you are throwing a dollar of profit out the window.

When I draw a wall detail, that is also part of my building section, same lines.

The use of MultiLayout Plotting where you can place different scales on the same sheet is where you decide and place a detail at a scale.
Just like plans, I can have the same lines on the same sheet, in both a 1/16" composite area plan, 1/8" Partial floor plan (for a wing or remodeling area) and 1/4" scale for an enlarged detailed plan. Same lines, never enlarged, just clip cubed &/or layer management makes this happen so simply.

Allow the program to make your life easier and more efficient.