Found a hidden feature or want to share a time-saving shortcut? Let us all know...
#69614 by Ted B
Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:08 am
It may be obvious, but I thought I'd mention a quick short-cut I've used for years in small-scale residential sections where I don't need a lot of drawn-detail; 1/8"-scale to 3/8"-scale especially where a wall is typically just two-lines. For windows and doors in-section I just use the pull-downs from the Toolbar.

For casement windows in a section, I insert a "window"-symbol into the same rough-opening. For double-hung windows, I insert a "sliding-glass door"-symbol header-to-sill with the opening set typically to 45 or 30 degrees. If the symbol is facing the wrong-way after it inserts, just mirror-flip it so the fixed-upper sash faces outwards. Then a 6" or 8" "capped-center" wall for the rough-opening to represent the unit-frame.

For typical doors, I just insert a "window" of the same rough-opening as the door, and draw a "capped-center" wall for the unit-frame. Then I stretch the lower-sash -- and jamb if-needed -- down 1" as a drawn-threshold. Similarly a closed "garage door"-symbol works for a garage door in section.

For larger-scale details like 3/4" a door or window can be created, but you need to create the unit-frame separately.

For casement-windows in floor plans, I use a "swing door"-symbol with a 6" to 8" capped-wall for the frame, and a single line jamb-center to jamb-center to indicate it's a casement window and NOT a door. I also drawn a similar 6" to 10"capped-center"-wall for exterior door thresholds and garage door sills. For interior doors with threshold like for kitchens and bathrooms a 6" to 8" capped-wall works nicely, and for flooring transitions and closets I draw the capped-wall threshold then erase one-line to leave the other as the transition-line.
#69615 by MtnArch
Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:39 am
Great tip Ted!
#69616 by joshhuggins
Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:34 am
Ted B wrote:I...If the symbol is facing the wrong-way after it inserts, just mirror-flip it so the fixed-upper sash faces outwards.
When inserting symbols, toggle on Dynamic Flip, to let Ctrl & Shift act as auto mirroring along the x/y axis. Combine with Fix Text in the same symbol insert menu, they are super handy! No need for the separate mirror command after.