Found a hidden feature or want to share a time-saving shortcut? Let us all know...
#75089 by joshhuggins
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:52 pm
If you draw commonly used symbols that are typically drawn with entities that are all using the Solid linetype, try using the Dashed linetype instead. You can set the line spacing inside the symbol to something large like 3 so it appears solid when normally inserted using a Line Factor of 1, but then if you need a dashed version of the symbol (say for a demo plan or hidden items for example), you can insert it with a line factor of say 0.1 and then you will have a dashed version of the symbol. This allows you freedom from having to manage additional versions of the same symbol where the only difference is that it is dashed. Fewer symbols also gives you more space in the Symbol Browser so you can have smaller divisions so you can see your symbols larger.

You just need to test what spacing works for you and then I just add a little spacing note at the end of the Symbols Edit Fields dialog Item Name so I know what the Line Factor should be if I want a dashed version of that symbol. EX: LS=0.1
#75090 by Roger D
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:07 pm
I have 3 sets of layers, Existing, New, Demo.
If I want an existing plan, that has Existing + Demo
If I want a Demo Plan, That is Existing with the Demo layers a self-xref, highlighted to plot dashed and red.
This way I only have a set of existing and New Symbols. Demo versions are not necessary.