Found a hidden feature or want to share a time-saving shortcut? Let us all know...
#9899 by Sinha
Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:13 pm
I tried this but need help.

On Tools/Color Palette/

I created a color R=1 G=0 B=0 gave me black

Then On Pen Table Assigned Pen #15 to R=254 G=255 B=255 Gave me White

When you assign a fill with this Color and pen, It hides everything behind It. Even When you print it!!

I am beyond my thinkzone, How can we use this with our "Keynote Boxs" or whatever
#9900 by Sinha
Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:35 pm
Guys,
The color patch # (eg. 23) must match with the pen table as well.

So color #23 is assigned Pen# 15 in the Pen Table
#9901 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:56 pm
Are you trying to create a keynote that puts a blank over whatever is behind it and the keynote text on top of that blank?

Here is one way you can do this. There are so many settings that effect bitmap/fills & plot settings it can get confusing fast. I used Colors 16 & 17 and pens 14 & 15.

- In the Pen table, Check the Map fill colors to pen colors.
- Under Bitmaps and Fills, set them to print "In order". This makes them follow the pen order rules. If not, you could use any color & pen and they would either print in front or in back.
- Assign Color 16 to Pen 14.
- Assign Color 17 to Pen 15.
- Under the Pen Settings, for pen 14, set the check box color to 254,254,254. You could leave this un-checked and make different color fills print in each entities fill settings, but thats beyond this task.
- Set pen 15's color probably to black or match the settings for the pen, that your text color is mapped to.

Now create your symbol. For the fill, make sure the color check box in the settings is set to Entity. (This is where you could reverse this and the pen color assignment above.)

Make your symbol text in color 17. Save your symbol and your all set.

You can play with different colors and orders, but this is probably the easiest method. I have to get going, but post if you need more help tomorrow. Sorry for the rush job. :?
Last edited by joshhuggins on Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#9906 by Sinha
Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:58 pm
Josh, You method is crackin' Dude as long as it is not a symbol.
For Some reason, when I save it as a symbol, the fills are sent way back. I have my display as well as pen, set to print "In Order"

What do you think I may be soin' wrong?

Thanks
#9908 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:07 pm
Hmmm, your right I didn't save it as a symbol, and insert it as an unexploded symbol. How would that work? Irregardless if Datacad 12 has the "clip" feature that would allow us to do this built in, the fact that fills loose there settings in symbols should be addressed. We have bad roots in using unexploded symbols for our keynotes, but if symbol attributes and this clipping wish/fix/work-around could be done, I could get everyone to get on track with using unexploded keynotes. It's like pullin' teeth sometimes with these guys.
#9909 by Sinha
Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:12 pm
Thanks Josh
#9910 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:17 pm
O.K. - on this same note, I had a sweet idea! If ver. 12 could get this clip feature to work, how cool would it be to be able to have the clip instead of removing what is inside the clip area, if it could highlight the entities? Then we could apply a half-tone color to those entities, that would still show whats there, but lighten it up a bit. Oooo shivers :mrgreen:
#9911 by Heinrich
Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:41 pm
joshhuggins wrote:O.K. - on this same note, I had a sweet idea! If ver. 12 could get this clip feature to work, how cool would it be to be able to have the clip instead of removing what is inside the clip area, if it could highlight the entities? Then we could apply a half-tone color to those entities, that would still show whats there, but lighten it up a bit. Oooo shivers :mrgreen:

#9912 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:01 pm
Hi Josh,

joshhuggins wrote:O.K. - on this same note, I had a sweet idea! If ver. 12 could get this clip feature to work, how cool would it be to be able to have the clip instead of removing what is inside the clip area, if it could highlight the entities? Then we could apply a half-tone color to those entities, that would still show whats there, but lighten it up a bit. Oooo shivers :mrgreen:

Eeeegxseelleent!

[/Mr. Burns' voice]
#9913 by Sinha
Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:13 pm
C'on Josh Crack the whip!!
This Feature can Also be used on Doors, Windows, W/C, Lav, as well as many symbols that sometimes need to be over certain Lines.
And we can set the opacity of this "Blackhole" so lines get dimmed behind it

In Elevations, Windows can be slid anywhere, and the Hatch, Fills and lines behind it will be hidden under the Windows.

Almost like Parametric.
#9915 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:51 pm
Great 'blackhole' Josh.

Thanks,
Miguel
#9916 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:54 pm
And we can set the opacity of this "Blackhole" so lines get dimmed behind it.
Being able to change the opacity of the lines and not have to highlight them with a color change would be even better! This way line weights would remain in tact. Probably would be easier to do since it would only apply as a tie to printing. Nice Sinha :wink:
#12783 by Wayne Jones
Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:20 pm
Using fills is intriguing. I have done it for site plans with layer names to keep the order. Example in order in layer manager:

z20background..
z16stream..
z04fairways..
z01greens
roadway..
treeline..
hazards..

the z designations are spbfills sorted in order by layer for plotting and viewing. The other designations are vector information.

As long as the lines can all overlay the spbfills, it works fine. The trouble that I see is that apparently DCAD orders the spbfills and then other information as groups. If there could be other sorting options, and ghosting, etc. mentioned here, that would be an advance. Of course, compatibility with symbols and xrefs would be a benefit.