Found a hidden feature or want to share a time-saving shortcut? Let us all know...
#14516 by Tony Blasio
Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:16 pm
There has been talk about the different CAD standards and layering standards. One reason I haven't invested too much in the National CAD Standard is the cost. Recently however I found this web-site:

https://tsc.wes.army.mil/products/stand ... stdweb.asp

They offer a freely distributable copy of their A/E/C CADD Standard 3.0 which is compliant with the National CAD Standard 3.1. The guide contains layer naming (not just guidelines but actual layer names for all discplines), drawing file naming, pen wieghts, linetypes, etc..

Did I mention it is free? :?: :wink:

It's got me thinking about revising some of my standards or at least adding to them :idea: :D
#14518 by MtnArch
Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:41 pm
This is a very comprehensive CD and well worth getting, if only for some reference material.

They also include what the military regards as standard hatches and symbols.

If you want to print out the manuals, be prepared for a large book - I printed mine double-sided and it's 1-1/4" thick!
#20705 by Ted B
Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:04 pm
As a small-firm architect, I've so-far seen little advantage to adopting any of the National standards...at-least for residental projects. It's mpre important that the drawings within the firm has a central consistancy, but the National Standards just seem to add a level of unnecessary complexity that jkust slows the work-flow down...especially in a CAD-environment like Datacad where the line colors, types and spacings are independent of the layering system.

I usually just group my layers based on the final paper-output (or .pdf files) into the typical residential groupings of; basedrawing, architectural, structural, mechanical, plumbing and electrical. And use "views" to turn layers on and off as-needed. The one thing that I DON'T do is superimpose my floor plans over each other. Each lives on a 'drawing frame' at a fixed-distance apart in the drawing's file that I can copy or move interdependent elements to-and-from.
#20712 by MtnArch
Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:43 pm
I agree with Ted on this one. Unless you are required to use the standards for some god-awful reason .... DON'T!!! Even in the 60-person firm that I work in we don't use this system.

As Tony and I said before, as a FREE resource it's worth getting for your library!