Found a hidden feature or want to share a time-saving shortcut? Let us all know...
#2715 by DBrennfoerder
Wed May 18, 2005 10:37 pm
I had someone who needed a detailed set of elevations for a very complex house, composed of 6 basic elements, turned at angles so that 6 views were needed to show in all in true elevation. I decided to create the residence in DataCAD and used the model for 3d/hide linework. I also used o2c with all surfaces textured accurately for color and material. I manipulated the model and created 6 elevation views, shadowed them and saved the images. Then I imported the images into DataCAD and overlayed them with the linework. The client liked the results. The linework gave me crisp edges, the shading and shadows improved the depth perception of the view. Image
#5203 by Ted B
Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:16 am
Sketch-Up's a great adjucnt to Datacad. For all my residentail projects for the last year or so I've done the exterior design, and the color renderings for client meetings, in SU; then imported flat hidden-line views straight into Datacad.

I've even used SU's notation-mode to annotate the 3D-perspective entirely in SU, and them imported the entire image as-is onto my construction drawings in Datacad. It's been very helpful for explaining complocated 3-dimensional construction details in framing and foundation formwork.

SU has a "cut-section" feature that's very useful, though I haven't yet used that to general my construction drawing buildng sections.

I hear they're working on a cross-functionality between Datacad and Sketch-up. If so, then I'll have the business-incentive to convert from 2D drafting and actually learn how to use Datacad's 3D-mode. I have several clients who do the architectural floor plans in 3D.