Found a hidden feature or want to share a time-saving shortcut? Let us all know...
#40036 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:05 am
Hello,

Imagine a project where you're dealing with 3D modeling, as shown on first image below. It can be actually a roof pane, a ramp segment, or a terrain slope.
At some point of your work you figure that an inclined triangular polygon is on the right position at bottom, but need to be stretched in the opposite vertice. This is the right place to learn what I'm going to show now.

One of the ways to change the shape of this polygon is using the Stretch command (in 3D) that in DataCAD 12 has gained an interesting feature, using the [3D Cursor] and allow to handle directly the three coordinates X, Y and Z. This handling can be done independently of the viewer position.
To enter on the command you can use the menus (or the superior icon). You must activate the option 3D Cursor:

The cursor will change its appearance. Observe that Coordinate Axis are now indicated to all three directions. Any value typed for X will displace to the right on screen, on Y goes deeper on screen, while a value to Z makes a vertical displacement up from the original position.

Capture superior vertice of the polygon using the mouse middle button (or N key), and press spacebar. The dialogs for setting coordinates values to displace will prompt you in usual sequency, to X, Y and Z. Only Z will receive a value of 2,00 meters (or any other scale type).

At follow, you select, by Area the vertice, and see that it displaces on vertical the specified distance:

The inclined polygon is now stretched on vertical for one of his vertex. On o2c Object Viewer you got an accurate perception of the entity change:

Hope it Helps,
Miguel
Last edited by Miguel Palaoro on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#40044 by spencer5x5
Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:42 am
Miguel,

Thanks for showing that to us. I have never used the 3d cursor for anything except creating entities. I didn't realize that it could be used for things like stretch. I have always just done this type of stretch in elevation view. Really cool!

Mike
#40067 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:37 pm
You're welcome, Mike. I'm glad to help.

Thanks,
Miguel