Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#81302 by Joseph Baron
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:12 pm
David, It was worth checking that since your issue is unresolved. You stated you had tried different fonts on different computers but if you want to send your HLV font I'll try again to duplicate the display issue.
Last edited by Joseph Baron on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#81303 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:55 pm
David,

Try this...

- Right-click on your DataCAD 19 program icon and select Properties.
- On the Compatibility tab click Change high DPI settings.
- In the High DPI scaling override section check Override high DPI scaling behavior.
- In the Scaling performed by drop-down, select Application.
- Click OK.

This should prevent Windows from 'stretching' DataCAD's interface.

MFM
#81326 by Mark F. Madura
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:38 am
Note: Primary Monitor Dpi Awareness was first supported in DataCAD 20.01.00. Mixed-Mode Dpi Awareness (per-monitor) was first supported by DataCAD 21.03.08. Prior to 20.01.00, If the Display Scale for the 'primary' monitor is set to 100%, then it should be unnecessary to override High Dpi Scaling.

Display_Settings.jpg
Display Scale
Display_Settings.jpg (35.63 KiB) Viewed 7287 times
#81472 by DavidBergman
Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:40 pm
I'm still struggling with this issue. With the help of Clay as well as a DCAD friend, I've been trying - unsuccessfully - to figure this out. The problem seems to be at least partially pointing to Dell, but it's still a huge mystery, and a huge problem. Text, as well as lines and even the display grid (as Clay noticed) are fuzzy. Text worst of all. It's unreadable when zoomed out and pixelated when zoomed in. Some fonts are worse than others. DataCad is close to unusable.

I think the problem began, though I'm not sure due to my intermittent use of DataCad, with my previous Dell laptop.

So - my first two questions here are: is anyone else having a similar problem, and is anyone else running DataCad on a Dell laptop (presumably without this problem)?

Hatches are also printing worse than they used to, but I'm not sure those are linked problems. It just adds to my frustration.

I've been trying to figure this out deductively, but seem to be going in circles.

I've tried v19 (which is what my license is on) as well as trials of v21 and v22. Tested on my current as well as the slightly older Dell laptops, which have similar results.

When I installed DataCad on a resurrected old Asus laptop, display was a lot better, though some fonts were still less than great.

With Dell's assistance, we uninstalled their proprietary video driver and tried the generic Intel driver, but that didn't help. (All three laptops, btw, have integrated graphics.)

I've tried clean DataCad installs on both Dells. All three laptops are on Windows 10.

ANY suggestions are welcome. (And thank you to the folks in the thread here who have already made some great suggestions.)

At this point, I'm willing to pay someone to deal with this. I'd rather do that than have to start fresh with a new CAD program, especially since I've been with DataCad since v5 and have often sung its virtues.

David
#81473 by Joseph Baron
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:39 am
DavidBergman wrote:So - my first two questions here are: is anyone else having a similar problem, and is anyone else running DataCad on a Dell laptop (presumably without this problem)?

I've been using DataCAD on a 4 yr old 13" DELL 7373 without font issues. I run a less then recommeneded resolution (1360x768) because of pop up dialog issues with another production program. Native res is 1920x1080.
#81474 by DavidBergman
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:21 am
Thanks Joseph. I can't imagine that it'd be a Dell-wide issue, but I thought it worth checking. (I'm using the recommended 1920 x 1280 res.]
#81475 by Joseph Baron
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:35 am
David, looking back on our notes from July one of the things I noted was that I don't recommend renaming DataCAD fonts.

This is probably a long shot but have you looked at the monitor settings such as contrast, etc?

I also see that you are using extended mode for your attached monitor, so are you getting the same results on your laptop with that monitor NOT attached?

If you want to zip up your DataCAD fonts folder and also send a current AEC file that is causing your issues I'll see if I can replicate the display issue on my system. Also send a screenshot of how it appears on your monitor.
#81476 by DavidBergman
Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:57 pm
Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your continued assistance here.

Contrast on the eternal monitor is set at the default 50%. I'm not sure how to check/adjust contrast on the laptop.

I get the same results with or without the external monitor attached.

I've just sent you an email with my fonts folder and some aec files with accompanying png screenshots.

David
#81477 by Joseph Baron
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:43 pm
Hey David,
I did look through the AEC until I found something that looked similar to what you are seeing. I think I had mentioned checking the font weight before and in this case I changed the weight to 1 from 3 and it cleaned up the display for that one line of text. Does this help? There is a lot of symbols containing text and I checked a few and they were also set to LW =3.
Attachments
Weight changed to 1.jpg
Weight changed to 1.jpg (14.21 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
DataCAD Font Weight.jpg
DataCAD Font Weight.jpg (54.27 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
#81479 by DavidBergman
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:37 am
Hi Joseph,

Can you point me to where in the aec you found that text? (I should know, but it's been a while since I really went into that file.) Text I've checked elsewhere says the line weight is 1.
#81480 by DavidBergman
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:45 am
Hi Neil,

I use pen tables and have tried several different saved tables including one where everything is set to 1 and the #1 pen width is set very thin.

Line weights are set to 1, though Joseph found some text where the line weight is 3. (See above.) Text that I have checked elsewhere is also set to 1.
#81481 by Joseph Baron
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:51 am
David, CTRL+right-click on text, go to Text Properties, Font, then Change. I'll email the locations in your AEC file.
#81482 by Joseph Baron
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:41 am
Does anyone know what this 'correction' means? I am not finding any information about it in the manual or Rev Hist.
Attachments
DataCAD Please correct Font List.jpg
DataCAD Please correct Font List.jpg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 7045 times
#81483 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:48 am
I am trying to remember if there was a DcadWin.ini setting for v19 that would have changed the screen resolution? I seem to remember this issue, and it was something that was causing DataCAD to use a resolution OTHER than the Windows screen resolution.

Possibly a look in the revision history document for v19 (or late v18) might turn something up?