Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#71891 by Hundreds of Bears
Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 am
So, I have a drawing with some jpgs in it as backgrounds. The images are about 2.6 MB ea when I try to save a PDF of the sheet it is enormous, it gets up to ab 45MB - **** itself and crashes.

I've had similar problems like this before- with a file with relatively small images becoming HUGE when plot to PDF.

Why is this happening?

How does DCAD make a PDF?

Is there an option somewhere... or could there be to embed images at lower resolution (it seem like DCAD is recompressing the images in PDF at a higher resolution than they are)
#71893 by artmanvt2000
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:18 pm
Same thing happens hear. It is very frustrating. If you can get it to save, you can use Adobe Photoshop to drastically reduce the file size of the pdf.

Are you saving it over a network? Is so, try saving it to your C: drive on your computer. It helps increase the speed of the save and allows slightly larger files.
#71894 by Dave
Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:09 pm
If you are using windows 10 microsoft have included a pdf printer try selecting that as your printer and print the file instead of save as. I use pdfcreator myself as it gives the ability to combine pdfs and also I can set the dpi of the output to reduce the file size.

DaveR