Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#73400 by cgarchitect
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:14 pm
I love Datacad, been on it since ver 4. Getting into more detailed 3d design now. Commercial roofs are pretty easy. The hard thing that I am having is to build a 3d roof that has multiple types of materials like exposed rafters, asphalt shingles, maybe dormers etc. Would like to know if there are any add ons to the tool box which get into more modeled components. I have a older item in my tool box which is called roofit 2. Any better add on's out there. I could use the 3d tilt up method but looking for something faster.

Thanks
PJ :P
#73428 by Mark Bell
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:25 pm
You could try searching for the RFTools macro which did complex domestic/residential roofing very well. I was created by People Software. My version (which no longer works fully on the 64-bit pc's) is RoofBuilder Tools 3.1 (1990-1995). Another one to search for is Build Roof by Power Space (Australia)/Advanced Relational Technology Pty Ltd. My version is 2.31 (1994-97) so I'm not sure if there are more recent versions.
#73537 by Nick Pyner
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:34 pm
I use RFTools regularly, and it works fine with Windows 7 64 bit. It is not a one-button roof designer. You have to know what you are doing, but it will show you if you don't. This beats the hell out not knowing what you are doing but having a macro that will build it regardless. I don't think there is anything that handles multiple materials like you seem to want. The Frame-it macro seems like a salesman's tool to impress the novice but, if you just want representation, you may find it is just fine for exposed rafters.
#73542 by David Porter
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:19 pm
RFTools also works fine in Windows 10, 64-bit on two machines for me. I use it to death. I get the 2D roof to a point where my brain hurts trying to envision the 3D contortions that I think the sloping roofs will take and then I knock out a 3D roof with RFTools macro in 10 minutes and it shows me that I was right or that I didn't have a clue. The 3D roofs are immediately viewable with o2c that is also built into DCAD. I haven't used anything other than RFTools for my roof designs in probably the last 20 years.
#73679 by Ted B
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:04 am
I haven't drawn a residential elevation in Datacad in years, I create them in Sketchup Pro/Layout as a model. I use Datacad-18 primarily for 2D drafting, and SU for 3D design and documentation...occasionaly even for 3D framing detailing. For highly detailed construction detailing I'll insert flat views of the model into Dcad as a 2D .dwg drawing, then develop the drawing and notes.

Dcad-18 is still better for floor plans, sections and detailing the construction, structural and MPE, etc...

I still haven't mastered the interoperation/xrefs yet between Dcad and SU.
#73686 by Robert Scott
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:22 pm
Ted B wrote:I haven't drawn a residential elevation in Datacad in years, I create them in Sketchup Pro/Layout as a model. I use Datacad-18 primarily for 2D drafting, and SU for 3D design and documentation...occasionaly even for 3D framing detailing. For highly detailed construction detailing I'll insert flat views of the model into Dcad as a 2D .dwg drawing, then develop the drawing and notes.

Dcad-18 is still better for floor plans, sections and detailing the construction, structural and MPE, etc...

I still haven't mastered the interoperation/xrefs yet between Dcad and SU.

Jim Goodman, AIA is very close to finding the holy grail of interoperation/xref between DC and SU.
#75251 by Ted B
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:51 pm
I've been watching a number of YouTubes from the 3D Basecamp 2016 Sketchup/Layout gathering. I'm still not convinced that SU/L can replace 2D/3D drafting like Datacad for certain drawing and design needs. ...Especially if you are not a large-enough practice to have full-time drafting technicans/engineers.

Though it's all very intriguing.
#75253 by MtnArch
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:26 pm
If you have SU check out Chuck Vali's 'Instant Roof' plug-in - VERY powerful; however, as Nick mentioned you still need to know what you're doing. The software will only do what you tell it - even if it will be HUGELY expensive to actually build what that little mouse button allowed you to create!
#75255 by Robert Scott
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:08 pm
Vali's plug in's can be helpful. A little pricy as far as SU plugins go.
Plug in's can certainly help you make errors faster :)
#75258 by Ted B
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:50 am
I just watched one presentation ...more of a commercial, all pitch--little illumination. Looks 'interesting', but I don't like being locked into an annual extortion, errr...subscription. It's $250 this-year, ....and $400 next-year?
#75262 by MtnArch
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:35 am
Yes, Chuck's plug-ins are on the pricey side, and he may be pricing himself out of his user base especially when Nathan Wilkerson's plug-ins are getting pretty robust.