Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#75728 by 2mackids
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:36 am
Is it possible to insert PDF files into a DataCAD drawing? I don't see a way of converting them into any of the supported bitmap files.
#75729 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:53 am
You have to use a PDF program like PDF Xchange to export the PDF to a raster image file type like JPG or PNG and then import that into Datacad from the Insert, Bitmap menu.
#75731 by David Porter
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:53 pm
There is a program that I had reported on a number of years ago called BackToCAD. It will convert a PDF file to a line and text file. Sometimes it does a good, clean job, and at other times, using the method Josh mentioned works much better. For BackToCAD to work best, the PDF needs to be a "virgin" PDF, meaning that it was not created by scanning a paper drawing into a PDF file. I created a raster file with BackToCAD yesterday, not realizing that it had been a scanned in file that was made into a PDF. Took about 8 minutes to create and about 38 MB for just the floor plan. When I zoomed in tight, there were thousands of little lines because it took the pixelated bitmap image and tried to pull them together into lines and text. I then used PDF Xchange to save the PDF plan out to a png file and that took about 30 seconds and the file was only about 1 MB. I inserted that into DCAD and it was a good enough resolution for what I needed it for (a small scale key plan for the building). BackToCAD runs about $350 and they then bombard you with ad emails enticing you to update the program about every couple of months. Stick with the PDF to an image file and then insert that into DCAD. If you then have to, trace over that image file with DCAD to come up with a fairly accurate existing plan.
#75732 by MtnArch
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:22 pm
I'll second the caution from David, though I use Print2Cad and not BackToCad. If the original PDF was created through a cad file it works really slick, but if it's a scan it usually works best to convert it to a raster image instead.
#75734 by David Porter
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm
My error. I too use Print2CAD. I believe the software company that produces that is Back2CAD.