Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#75945 by Lars
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:01 pm
When Adding, Moving, or Dragging vertexes; can I enable Orthomode to be on? Even if Orthomode is on, DC still wont edit polylines using it. (I suppose my question is "why?")

Can I add a line to a polyline? Seems to me there should be a simple way to do that and I'm missing it.

Why cant I trim, fillet, or chamfer a line to a polyline? ugh. Poly's are incredibly useful and I feel like theyre getting a cold shoulder in favor of icky single lines.

Thanks!
#75948 by dhs
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:17 pm
When Adding, Moving, or Dragging vertexes; can I enable Orthomode to be on? Even if Orthomode is on, DC still wont edit polylines using it. (I suppose my question is "why?")

Can't answer the "why", but you can use the normal Stretch command to move a vertex. This will allow orthomode when defining the stretch distance. This is reliable on horizontal polylines, but use it with great care on inclined polylines as in many circumstances the point you stretched will no longer be in the correct plane.

Can I add a line to a polyline?

You can add a vertex (F1 in the Polyline Edit Menu). Not quite sure if that is what you are after? Do you want to join 2 existing polylines into a single entity, or to add a 2d or 3d line entity to a polyline entity?

Why cant I trim, fillet, or chamfer a line to a polyline?

You can add a fillet of chamfer to a polyline (F6& F7 on the polyline edit menu), but only between existing sides of the same polyline. I guess that's not quite what you were asking.
#75955 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:27 pm
Lars wrote:When Adding, Moving, or Dragging vertexes; can I enable Orthomode to be on?

Polylines are unique from lines in most aspects of editing. The Polyline edit routine does not use a rubber band line from the vertex you are editing. So, there is no Ortho control from the last point. If you want to move a vertex in a specific direction, Object Snap rather than Click the point you want to edit, then press the Space Bar to define the direction and distance. You can also take advantage of the Reference Point command and GetSnap.

Lars wrote:Can I add a line to a polyline? Seems to me there should be a simple way to do that and I'm missing it.

As David Henderson indicated, you need to use the Polyline Editing command Add Vertex. I use Polylines a lot and find the Polyline Toolbar to be handy to have on all the time. On the Toolbars tab in Program Preferences you can enable Icon Toolbar III or IV and set it to Polyline.

Lars wrote:Why cant I trim, fillet, or chamfer a line to a polyline? ugh.

Unfortunately, lines and polylines are distinctly-separate entities and don't support the same editing commands.
#76164 by Lars
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 am
Are there plans in the works to treat Polyline and Line as similar entities? Seems like there's alot of capability built in to DC that just cant be utilized. Joining a polyline or line to an existing polyline would be a huge time saver.