Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#76049 by mra
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:58 am
How to I create an arch top opening in a vertical slab? I cannot do it in a smart wall, how about in a vert. slab? I have a mill building, exterior brick walls with arch top opening.
#76051 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 am
Specialty_Windows.jpg
Specialty Windows
Specialty_Windows.jpg (113.93 KiB) Viewed 9294 times

You can put specialty windows in Smart Walls by modeling the window and including it as a symbol in the Window Type definition.

I've attached a zipped-up AEC file of this example. For sloped walls like gable ends, you'll have to model the wall as either a 3D polygon, slab, or covered polyline (see my next post).
Attachments
Specialty Windows Example Drawing
(19.99 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
#76055 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:55 am
CircleTopInGable.jpg
Circle Top In Gable
CircleTopInGable.jpg (87.33 KiB) Viewed 9292 times

In this example, the gables are modeled with covered polylines. The circle top windows are smart windows with a custom symbol.

I've attached a zipped-up AEC file of this example.
Attachments
Circle Top In Gable Example Drawing
(71.44 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
#76062 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:49 pm
Mark F. Madura wrote:In this example, the gables are modeled with covered polylines. The circle top windows are smart windows with a custom symbol.

I've attached a zipped-up AEC file of this example.
Just curious, you did have to clip out the opening in the polyline via void or something right? The smart window didn't knock out the hole for itself?
#76063 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm
joshhuggins wrote:...you did have to clip out the opening in the polyline via void or something right? The smart window didn't knock out the hole for itself?
Correct. The 'gable' polyline contains a 'void' polyline for the window opening.
#76123 by Mark Bell
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:41 am
joshhuggins wrote:
...you did have to clip out the opening in the polyline via void or something right? The smart window didn't knock out the hole for itself?

MM wrote: 'Correct. The 'gable' polyline contains a 'void' polyline for the window opening.'

A big wish list item here would be the ability to add a vertex to a smart wall (ie. a wall with 5 points), allowing the fifth point to be placed at a higher z-h to create the gabled wall. This ability would really enhance smart walls and save a lot of time in currently having to model two separate entities to create the gable wall. ... nice examples too!