Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#76173 by Lars
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 am
I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue that causes Ptext to not display .shx fonts? I recently reinstalled DC19 and I can see all of my previously created Ptext objects, however, I cannot edit them or make new ptext.

In either case, the Ptext dialogue box appears but no cursor can be seen, and nothing is typed. Spellcheck will find misspelled words, yet they are not displayed. If I accept my changes a size box appears but then after its placed, no text is visible or selectable. (even if the ptext object was visible previously and double clicked to edit.)

All of my layers are on
Weight is set to 1
Aspect Ratio is 1.25
Line Spacing is 1
The problem persists across drawing files and through restarts, closing and opening DC... etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
#76174 by Lars
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:12 am
... forgot to mention that .ttf fonts display and work perfectly fine.

Unfortunately, I cannot use them because its not the firm standard font.

Fonts are mapped correctly. (correct path name is given.)

I do also have DC20 installed but cannot use it yet.

Thanks!
#76175 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:16 am
Since the PText and MText editors are RTF-based (just like AutoCAD), there needs to be a matching TrueType font installed on your machine for any SHX font you want to use in PText or MText entities. Which font are you trying to use?
#76178 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:40 am
The text displayed in the editor has to be TrueType. The text used in the drawing is SHX. So, you need to have MyFont.shx and MyFont.ttf installed on your computer. It works the same way in AutoCAD.
#76179 by Lars
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:47 am
So I cut and paste the DC fonts into the Windows>Fonts folder?

The ptext window is not displaying a blinking cursor currently, but I remember typing in arial or something similar.
#76180 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:11 am
No. You may need to perform a 'repair' install of DataCAD. There should be a set of SHX-equivalent TrueType fonts installed in the Windows Fonts folder that correspond to the fonts in DataCAD's Fonts folder.
DataCAD_TrueType_Fonts.png
Some of DataCAD's TrueType Fonts

DataCAD_SHX_Fonts.png
DataCAD's SHX Fonts
#76182 by Lars
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:24 pm
Thats interesting.

The fonts are not there. I did run a repair to the installation to no effect. (still not there)

Can i download these somewhere and install them manually?

Thanks!
#76183 by Lars
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:35 pm
Resolved!

It took a hard CPU shut down and full reboot for the repair to take effect across the system.

Thanks for talking me through it!
#76184 by joshhuggins
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:07 pm
Lars wrote:Resolved!

It took a hard CPU shut down and full reboot for the repair to take effect across the system.

Thanks for talking me through it!

Usually when adding fonts to the system, it will require a reboot for windows to load them into memory for any programs to be able to use them.