Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#81826 by DavidBergman
Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:35 pm
Here's another question - and thanks everyone for bearing with me. This one is less pressing than the issue I just posted. Some parts of my newly created drawing symbols disappear when I make a clip cube. I figured out that the Z heights/bases on the lines are at really odd and differing heights - even lines that were created at the same time. I can click Ignore Z in the Clip Cube to work around the problem, but it would be better to change those Z heights. (Though it's a mystery how they got them in the first place.) I think I understand the manual's instructions on Editing Symbols (though I'm a bit hesitant to muck with my newly and laboriously created symbols), but exploding them to do that will break the Text Attributes, right?

All in all, I may just leave them and make sure Ignore Z is checked.
#81827 by MtnArch
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:40 pm
I *believe* this is the correct way to edit and save out your updated symbols:

Right-click on the symbol in the Symbol Manager and pick "Edit Symbol". Make any modifications to the symbol you need and save it (I double save it myself, just to be sure!); this will save it in the CURRENT drawing. To then re-save it to your hard-drive for picking it in the future, right-click the symbol in the Symbol Manager again - but this time select "Save As" and it should bring up the directory where it's saved. Save it with the same name.

Anyone .. if I have this wrong please correct me!
#81828 by joshhuggins
Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:34 am
Alan's instructions are correct, but there may be a faster way depending on if you need your symbol to have entities with z-heights & what types of entities you have in your symbol. If your symbol is primarily to be used for 2D, you can right click on the symbol in the Symbol Browser and select 'Flatten to Zero'. This should flatten all the entities down to a Z-height of zero. Sometimes polygons and sloped entities don't always flatten down, but most other entities will.