Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#73467 by joshhuggins
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:33 pm
I haven't really used them yet but when I first checked them out I liked that I could set them to our non-print color and have them set to that, so maybe that was the idea?
#73469 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:14 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:I am starting to use Helplines, and I have a question: is there a technical reason why they don't use the active color?

The "technical reason" is that's the way I chose to implement it. My reasoning was to differentiate Helplines from live geometry. Assign them a color that is unused by anything else in the drawing and they tend to stand out.

Dave
#73470 by Roger D
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:16 pm
I think I'm hearing old Frank Sinatra singing, "I'll do it my way" :D
#73471 by Roger D
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:36 pm
any possibility of helparcs? helpcircles?
#73472 by Robert Scott
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:
Neil Blanchard wrote:I am starting to use Helplines, and I have a question: is there a technical reason why they don't use the active color?

The "technical reason" is that's the way I chose to implement it. My reasoning was to differentiate Helplines from live geometry. Assign them a color that is unused by anything else in the drawing and they tend to stand out.

Dave

Dave wins the internet for the most honest, refreshing response!

Reminds me of my Dad's favorite saying: "Because I said so" ;)

Bob
#73473 by ORWoody
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:11 pm
Just sucking up to Dave here so it's fine to ignore this reply.
Helplines may just be my favorite "new" thing. I'd been drawing and deleting lines for years and Helplines are great. I do as Dave mentioned and make them in an easily recognizable non-standard color. I even made a Helpline icon and a delete all helplines icon.
Now that I've fawned sufficiently, I do have one request of Dave. Could we have a line type option also. I really would like to be able to put the helplines pre-set in dashed lines to help see them clearly when they are in a forest of solid lines as I draw. Being lazy, I don't like to go to all of the trouble to pick the line type, place the helpline and then return to solid to draw.
Thank you Dave.
#73474 by David A. Giesselman
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:08 am
ORWoody wrote:Just sucking up to Dave here so it's fine to ignore this reply.
Helplines may just be my favorite "new" thing. I'd been drawing and deleting lines for years and Helplines are great. I do as Dave mentioned and make them in an easily recognizable non-standard color. I even made a Helpline icon and a delete all helplines icon.
Now that I've fawned sufficiently, I do have one request of Dave. Could we have a line type option also. I really would like to be able to put the helplines pre-set in dashed lines to help see them clearly when they are in a forest of solid lines as I draw. Being lazy, I don't like to go to all of the trouble to pick the line type, place the helpline and then return to solid to draw.
Thank you Dave.

Woody,

There is a PenStyle selection in the Helplines menu. Try the "Dashed .5" pen style.

Dave
#73475 by Ted B
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 am
Similar to Sketch-up guidelines? Now I'm intrigued. Sometimes find the "dot" can be hard on the eyes.
#73485 by Roger D
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:31 am
Are helplines going to have angle attributes?