Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#73545 by ORWoody
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:46 am
I am trying to batch plot at my home computer and I get a series of separate plot files. At the office computer, my batch plot comes as a single file.
I seem to recall having that problem when batch plotting first became available and it was easily solved with some toggle in the program. I needed it only that one time and it's worked correctly since then.
I'd like to be able to fix my problem here that easily, but I've looked and looked and haven't figured out where the toggle is located.
Has anyone else bumped into that and do you know what the answer is?
Thanks,
#73549 by David Porter
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:05 pm
Hmmm, if there is a way to have the Batch Plotting make a single PDF out of multiple sheets, I have been missing out on that for years. I just went into Batch Plotting again and I don't see any setting that allows for that option. All of my batch plots produce individual drawing sheet PDF files.
#73550 by joshhuggins
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:16 pm
I use PDF XChange Pro's PDF print driver from to get my single PDF output. Don't think Datacad has ever supported that itself.
#73551 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:07 pm
David Porter wrote:Hmmm, if there is a way to have the Batch Plotting make a single PDF out of multiple sheets, I have been missing out on that for years. I just went into Batch Plotting again and I don't see any setting that allows for that option. All of my batch plots produce individual drawing sheet PDF files.

Me too! We use BlueBeam to combine individual sheet PDF's into drawing sets.
#73552 by Ted B
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:26 pm
For years I've plotted each page out in .PDF (a01, a02a, a02b, etc...) to plot-dated folder, then used PDFTools to combine them in one new, unique .PDF print-file that I can use as a record-plot, email to a client, or use to printout sets. This way I can combine sheets from Datacad, Sketch-Up, and text/spreadsheet files in one document.

I use a hybrid overlay-drafting and xrefs style of Cad management for my Datacad documentation, and extensive use of SketchUp-Layout for design and for construction documentation.
#73553 by ORWoody
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:41 pm
I didn't actually think about it one way or the other, but when Josh mentioned that he uses a third party program for merged plots, the light came on. I use Win2PDF as my printer. The capability to create merged PDF plots on the fly is in that program. It is so transparent that I thought that it was something inside DCAD.
The capability to do that is a staggering time saver for me. I don't doubt that I make three or four gang copies per day. I checked today and the cost of it is $35.00 US so it pays for itself in a couple of days, easily.
All one does is select batch plot as is normal in the DCAD print menu. Then when the query comes up for the first time, one selects the GoToViews to be printed. That selection is sticky so one can have all of the current selections by just providing the desired name. At that point, it runs through the process.
No further assembly required.
Thanks to everyone that helped me realize where that merge capability really was hiding.
#73560 by David Porter
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:56 am
I also use PDF Xchange, for all of my PDF needs, including pulling the individual DCAD plots into a single PDF. With a few municipalities where my drawings go for permits, they want a digital PDF submission, with seals, and I also use PDF Xchange for that. After SnagIt, it is probably the most used program in my computer.
#73678 by Ted B
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:50 am
I print all emails and project correspondence to the project record file as .pdfs.

Years from now will you be able to read or printout your "archived" emails?