Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#73877 by Vmorris1
Wed May 16, 2018 4:04 pm
How do one import a 2d sketchup detail into a drawing without having it disrupting the datacad file? Each time I try to import Sketchup detail, I first have to bring it into a dummy Datacad file then transfer it to the real Datacad file in order to protect the coordinates. if i don't take this step (as I just happen) the whole file is messed up and I have to go back and try to rebuild it. its going to take me hours to fit it.
#73880 by MtnArch
Wed May 16, 2018 11:55 pm
Bob Scott and Jim Goodman are probably the two best gurus as to how to utilize SU and Dcad the most effectively. Hopefully one of them will chime in tomorrow morning (in their respective timezones!).
#73883 by jimgoodman
Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 am
Bob and I have been pushing the absolute limits of DataCAD-Sketchup-Layout and it can be daunting but we are now able to generate live exterior elevations from our DataCAD/SU models using Layout for sheet formatting and annotations.

It's always best to bring in Sketchup files as XRefs instead of direct import. If you want to edit or manipulate the SU file, you can bind teh SU reference to a symbol and edit the symbol.

With all the nifty reference and symbol tools in DataCAD 20, almost all of our DataCAD files are now comprised of symbols and references instead of live information.

This approach also makes collaboration much easier where our far flung team can work on parts of the project and have them updated in the master file(s)

Ted B is also using "a hybrid overlay-drafting and xrefs style of Cad management for his Datacad documentation, and extensive use of SketchUp-Layout for design and for construction documentation."
#78082 by Giuseppe Barberio
Mon May 25, 2020 8:53 pm
Hello all,

I’ve been looking through many posts about importing a Sketchup file into DataCad. I’m currently running DataCAD 20 and I have tried to import a Sketchup model from Google Warehouse with no success. I have downloaded several Sketchup files from versions 2020 back to 2017. Nothing comes in.

Hoping someone can tell me what I’m missing.

Thanks in advance.
#78531 by Ted B
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:58 pm
I've found it's easier to use Sketchup-Layout for printing 2D and 3D Sketchup details. Layout is a paper-space drafting, printing and presentation environment within Sketchup Pro. While I have Datacad-18 and -21, I still use Sketchup Pro 2015. The newer Shetchup Pro 2018 has much better interfunctionality with Datacad-21. And SU-18 has better .PDF interoperability. You can still cross-pollinate in either direction with caution.

Before Layout came out, I'd export from my SU model .dwg views and import them to my DC file. Typically views of the building model elevations as a series of .dwgs. if you want to use a Sketchup Warehouse model, you need to import it to Sketchup first, then import to Datacad or Layout.

With Layout I'm more likely to import from DC to SU, edit then select scenes fron SU to import into Layout's paperspace to anotate and print. When dimensioning in Layout is 1-to-1, creating new drawing elements is tricky since it's a paperspace environtment. You have to be cognizant that distances for drawing and copying are not 1-to-1. If you're at 1/8th-scale then an inch is 1/96 and a foot is 1/8. It's best to do as much as possible in SU first. Sketchup and Layout both have layers, but they function differently that Datacad. In Sketchup "groups" and "components" are vital to then use layers to turn elements on and off. In Layout they're more like old-school overlay drafting.

For floorplans and such, I still use Datacad, and print directly from Datacad to file. The Layout pages also get printed to file separately a page or series of pages at a time;

01a. CS-1.1 Coversheet. Layout
01b. A-1.2 General Notes, Specs, Schedules. OpenWriter
02a. A-2.1. Site Plan. Datacad
03a. A-3.1. Foundation Plan. Datacad
04a. A-4.1. Floor Plan. Datacad
06a. A-5.1. Building Elevations. Layout
06a. A-6.1. Building Sections. Datacad
07a. A-7.1. Detail Views. Layout
07b. A-7.2. Details. Datacad

They then get combined in the Editor and saved-as; 2020 08-07 August Preliminary - Project 20505(a.)
The worse that happens is sheets created in some programs are printed flipped-90 OR 180 in the .PDF.