Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#74333 by datahogg
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:30 am
When I start DataCad the commands "Grid Snap , Disp. Grid 1 , Disp. 2" are on. Since I only occasionally use them, I turn them off.
But a couple of minutes later they are on again without any input from me that I am aware of. So I again turn them off. This is VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, irritating and time wasteful.
Is there any way of turning these off so that they will stay OFF until I need them?

Thanks H. Hampton.
#74334 by Roger D
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:05 am
In a current file turn on all layers, make sure the current layer has the gird settings to your liking, then run the Gridlock macro. If you don't have it already, you can download from the datacad site
Gridlock (GRIDLOCK.ZIP, 1KB, 02/99) https://www.datacad.com/support/down/Gridlock.zip
Locks every layer's grid settings to the current active layer grid settings.

For future files, make sure all layers in the default file have the grid settings to you liking. then any future created layers would have the current layer settings.
#74341 by datahogg
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 pm
Roger,
Thanks for the information, it worked and was helpful.

But I think if the user wants the commands (Grid Snap , Disp. Grid 1 , Disp. 2) off they should be off, and only on when the user turns them on.
The MACRO seems like a patch fix when the developers/managers should have changed this irritation long ago.
Autocad and the Autocad clones (such as BricsCad) do not have this nuisance.

I use both BricsCad and DataCad. When DataCad imports AutoCAd drawings , often objects (blocks, windows , walls, doors) do not make it over.
I have 2 friends that use DataCad solely, and they often send me AutoCad files to simplify so that they may be imported into DataCad.
DataCad developers should take a good look at the quality of the DataCad product and improve it.
#74342 by MtnArch
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:01 pm
As Roger said you'll want to change your default drawing to match what you're used to with BricsCAD.

As a user of BricsCAD for many, many years as well, the only items that don't seem to make the trip into DataCAD are proxy objects - those have to be exploded prior to importing.
#74347 by Roger D
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 am
datahogg wrote:But I think if the user wants the commands (Grid Snap , Disp. Grid 1 , Disp. 2) off they should be off, and only on when the user turns them on.

This is what the default drawing is for, to have the settings how you want them.
The macro gives one the flexibilty to change settings, esp on imported layers after they have been added.
BTW, the "x" key turns on/off grid snap also.
#74471 by datahogg
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:15 am
MtnArch wrote:As Roger said you'll want to change your default drawing to match what you're used to with BricsCAD.

As a user of BricsCAD for many, many years as well, the only items that don't seem to make the trip into DataCAD are proxy objects - those have to be exploded prior to importing.

When comparing BricsCad with DataCad, what are the strong points that you would give to DataCad ?
I mainly use BricsCad, but have upgraded to DataCad 20 hoping for improvements over DataCad 16.
I am trying to like DataCad, but keep running into the same problems I had with V16.