Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#77840 by JSteinke
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:46 pm
I created a profile in the geforce control panel for datacad with everything set to off or application controlled. It had no effect on this problem.
#77842 by JSteinke
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:11 pm
Is there a setting somewhere that just changes the display (in pixels) size for drawn lines on the drawing area.

I dont want to adjust the weight because that will change the print size and I already have certain lines adjusted on weight.

I just need the display lines to be half again or twice bigger so I can see them. (some of the lines dont even display.)

If there isnt a way to do that then im going to have to go buy a 1920*1080 monitor. Maybe then add support for high resolution density monitors down the road.
#77843 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:05 pm
In the Properties for the DataCAD shortcut, on the Compatibility tab select Change high DPI settings.
If Program DPI is checked, uncheck it.
If High DPI scaling override is checked, uncheck it.
Restart your computer. Does DataCAD's display look correct?

If not, what version are you running?
Go to Help, About. What is the number displayed next to Version?
#77844 by Glenn Curran
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:51 pm
Hi Mark,

I'm rejoining this topic after starting it two years ago.

I've tried every suggestion, including your latest one, but still left with fine hairlines, so I can empathise with JSteinke.

In my case, I was assuming it was incompatibility somewhere with the iMac/ Parallels / Windows 10 combination, but maybe it isn't.

I'm running version 20.03.00.04.

Belated commiserations to you all there on David's passing.

Glenn
#77845 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:12 pm
Jesse and Glenn,

Could you please send a full-screen preview of your DataCAD screen to help@datacad.com?

By default on Windows 10, pressing the Windows Key + [Print Screen] will create a PNG of your entire desktop and save it in This PC > Pictures > Screenshots > Screenshot (1).png

Thank You,

MFM
#77846 by JSteinke
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:42 pm
I dont think that will help. Problem is on my 4k monitor the pixel density is so high that a single pixel wide verticle line as rendered by the program is almost invisible and the color shifts on the vertical lines. The horizontal lines seem to maintain their color just fine.

But the reason I say it wont help much is because I bought another monitor and a screen shot from my 4k displays the line just fine on the new 1920x1080 monitor.

Its has to do with the pixel density and how many pixels datacad is allowing on lines. It does not appear that any line drawn gets any DPI scaling added (all the UI and etc get scaled just fine).

I took a full screen screen shot of datacad on 4k. Then with my phone I took a picture zoomed in on the pixels on the 4k screen and on a 1920x1080 screen. The grey line of vertical pixels on the 4k monitor is the issue. It is one pixel wide grey and almost invisible.

(Im on DataCad 21. I just posted in this thread hoping the original poster would get a notification and had already solved the issue, sadly that seems to not be the case.)
Attachments
datacad dpi issue 1.PNG
#77848 by joshhuggins
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:15 pm
What make and model is the 4k monitor?
#77849 by JSteinke
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 am
I've tried this on multiple high DPI screen all with the same result.

43" Dell P4317Q (4k)
42" HP 1AA85A8#ABA (4k)
40" Samsung UN40JU7100 (4k)
27" LG 27UD68-W (4k)
60" LG 4k TV I dont know the model number on off hand.

I also tried it on two different win10 boxes, a win8 box and a mac (running a windows virtual machine) (It was at this point my wife yelled at me to stop.)

These all had the same issue where the lines in the drawing area remained 1 pixel wide vertically and there is no way to get them to scale via the operating system.
#77851 by JSteinke
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 am
I have been running with it off.

Logical Pen Width Adjustment=0
Logical Pen Width=FALSE

but I have also tried with it TRUE and with various numbers in the adjustment area. None of that helps. (What I take is that it SHOULD but it doesnt)
#77852 by JSteinke
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:36 am
There are two other sections in the ini file but none of the settings there seem to work either.

[Screen Calibration]
Calibrated=TRUE
CalLineHeight=8.2
CalLineHeightPixels=950
CalLineWidth=8.4
CalLineWidthPixels=970
Units=0

[Display]
Enhanced Bitmap=FALSE
Max Entities=10000
Max Vectors=15000
DPI=144

So the DPI setting is auto set by your display driver and it references how many pixels to display bitmaps at?

and the callineheight is whatever you put into the calibration test for vert / horizontal. But what is the CalLineHeightPixels. Or is that just what the program is reading the circle height as in pixels and you measure it to get callineheight and then it compares those two numbers to figure out how to modify the display?

Isnt there anywhere in there that you can just say "the base display for lines is X pixels wide"?
#77853 by JSteinke
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:14 pm
Ok, so I spent 30 min or so playing with the settings for Logical Pen Width

Logical Pen Width Adjustment=0
Logical Pen Width=FALSE

If anyone ever was wondering EXACTLY what this does...

Turning it to true enabled the adjustment. The adjustment is a number from 1-(Maximum Pen Weight).

It DOENST adjust the display pen weight by the number it sets the base (1) weight to the number you set.

So if you have 10 weights 1-10 by default 1 is the base and 2-10 are increasing incremental sizes of 1.

Now if you set the adjustment to 1 then 1 is the base like usual.

If you set it to 2 then 2 is the base. 1 displays like original and 2 displays like 1 and each subsequent number after 2 is an incremental size adjustment on the base 2 (displayed at weight 1). You basically now have two thin line weights (displayed not printed) with 1 and 2 and then 3-10 are 1 weight thinner

If you set it to, for example, 5.

Then 1 is the base and 2-4 incremental size adjust like usual and then 5 also displays as weight 1 and 6-10 adjust based on 5 being the base size. So 5 would like like weight 1 , 6 would look like weight 2 and 10 would look like weight 5.

This also explains why turning logical pen widths on makes things print thicker because they are printing at the same pen weight you set in your print settings but they look thinner based on what you set the pen adjustment setting to.

BUT the problem I have is that the base line weight that is displayed is too small (in pixels) for a high pixel density monitor. Even having the inverse of the logical width adjustment would be useful. Make it so my line weight 1 display as line weight 2...