Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#74396 by Glenn Curran
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:45 am
Hello all.
I'm using DCAD 20 with Windows 10 and Parallels on a 5k Retina imac and I'm having trouble displaying line weights on the screen. The lines come out as a uniform hair width, despite having Line Weights toggled on and Logical Pen Width=TRUE set in the configuration file. I've tried dropping the resolution on the imac, but this just makes the lines uniformly thicker, but still all of the same width. My fault for being seduced by the imac? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for any advice.
#74400 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:47 am
Check out this post on the topic.

Also make sure you are running the latest update (20.01.01) as refinements related to the display have been ongoing thru v20's development.
#74401 by Glenn Curran
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:09 am
Hi Josh.
Thank you for your response. I'm on the latest update and I've had a look at the post you suggested, but this seems to deal with DCAD's interface and how it appears on the screen, rather what's happening in the drawing area. I've no problems with the DCAD interface (except for the Program Preferences dialogue box, which is minute), but I'd just like to see line thicknesses on the screen, rather than just hairlines. Maybe that's not possible on the imac.
Thanks again.
#74402 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:37 am
A long shot I'm sure, but do you have the Display of Line Weight toggle On?

line wgt.JPG
line wgt.JPG (26.17 KiB) Viewed 15585 times

Dave
#74403 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:45 am
Glenn Curran wrote:... I've no problems with the DCAD interface (except for the Program Preferences dialogue box, which is minute), but I'd just like to see line thicknesses on the screen, rather than just hairlines.

This tells me that Windows, within the Parallels environment, is incorrectly reporting its display resolution to DataCAD. As for the Preferences dialog, open dcadwin.ini in Notepad and look for the following key in the [Dialogs] section:

Size=XXX

Where 'XXX' is an integer specifying the dialog box enlargement. Try setting that to 500 and run DataCAD. Open the Preferences dialog and check its size.

Dave
#74404 by Glenn Curran
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:34 am
Thanks for your advice Dave. The Preferences dialogue is now readable.
Just left with the display of line weight problem now - it is toggled on in Display. I guess there's no easy solution to the issue of Windows reporting the display resolution to DataCad incorrectly, unless someone much more clever than me has had and resolved the problem.
Regards
Glenn
#74406 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:34 am
What is your display resolution set to in Windows? Try the following:

• Go to your DataCAD installation folder, right-click on dcadwin.exe and select Properties
  • On that dialog, select the Compatibility tab
  • On the Compatibility tab, select Change settings for all users

2018-07-23_9-07-52.png
    2018-07-23_9-07-52.png (28.05 KiB) Viewed 15579 times
  • On the next dialog, select [b]Change high DPI settings

2018-07-23_9-08-46.png
    2018-07-23_9-08-46.png (19.88 KiB) Viewed 15579 times
  • Then on the following dialog, select Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: Application

2018-07-23_9-29-26.png
    2018-07-23_9-29-26.png (21.58 KiB) Viewed 15579 times
If that doesn't improve/change the display of line weights, just go back and un-check that setting.

Dave
#74408 by Glenn Curran
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:11 am
I'm really grateful for your time and effort, Dave, but tried that and it made no difference. My Windows display resolution is 3586x2274(recommended). I tried switching to 2560x1600 and I momentarily get thicker lines (but all the same thickness) and then it jumps back to 3586x2274 and hairlines.
#74411 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:01 am
Okay then let's try this. In the General section of the INI file, add/modify the following key:

Logical Pen Width Adjustment=1

If that makes no difference, try increasing the number. The default is 0 (zero).

Dave
#74415 by Glenn Curran
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:24 am
Hi Dave,
I tried that - made no difference on-screen, but prints came out worse, with heavy, consistent line thickness, whereas before the different line thicknesses printed well from fine to thick.
I don't want to waste any more of your time as it seems I'm dealing with a software incompatibility which could take an age to resolve (if ever). I'll put up with the hairlines on-screen for the time being. But a really big thank you for trying to help!
Glenn
#74427 by dhs
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:01 pm
I am not qualified to offer any advice on this, so this is just from curiosity on my part if you have time to respond: Have you tried setting the line weight to a ridiculously high value (say 80 or 100, or even more), and if so does that make any difference to the display?
#74429 by Glenn Curran
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:40 am
Thanks for offering that suggestion David. Increasing the line weight dramatically just gives me very thick lines on screen - all of the same thickness, despite using different pens.
Appreciate your interest, though.
Glenn
#77836 by JSteinke
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:48 am
I dont suppose anyone has fixed this yet? Just started working from home. I have a 40" 4k monitor. I am running my desktop scaling at 150% and in the properties for datacad I have it set to system override for the DPI scaling (which should force my 150% system setting over datacad's 100% setting).

Problem is nothing in datacad scales with this setting as far as I can tell except the dialog boxes. There are settings inside datacad to scale the UI and fonts etc so none of that is an issue.

But the drawing area where you have hair width lines is completely unusable.

I've tried the Logical pen width adjustment and like the original poster said. It doesnt change the on screen display width just the print width.

The only workaround sofar is to set the whole drawing to a wider pen weight. Draw at that weightand then set it off when I go to print.

I just dont understand why datacad doesnt work with the base windows ui scaling options? Has anyone had any luck with other work arounds. Two more employees are now reporting the same issues with working from home.
#77838 by JSteinke
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:10 am
Yes, it is the main monitor.

It is listed as "main display" in both windows 10 display settings as well as geforce control panel.