Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#74664 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:16 pm
Can someone refresh my memory, what does Text Knockout Enlargement actually relate to?
#74665 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:57 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Can someone refresh my memory, what does Text Knockout Enlargement actually relate to?

It allows you to control the size of the Knockout rectangle around the text. When set to 1.0, it will match the size of the rectangle shown when the display of text is toggled Off. That itself is defined by the font's definition of the cell size of a character which typically includes ascenders and descenders. Although, not all do.
#74668 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:09 am
Sorry Dave, I was not too clear in my question. I know what it does, I was wondering what the enlargement factor was related to. The text size or if it's a percentage or something else. Does Text Scale factor into it? I think what is throwing me off is what I am seeing. I figured it would be the same as the text boundary like you mentioned when the text display is turned off when the enlargement is set to 1, but that is not what I am seeing.

In the attached image the purple is the extents of the text when the display is off. The cyan is the KO border enlargement X/Y set to 1. The yellow is the KO border enlargement X/Y set to .9 which doesn't seem to size relative/equally and doesn't seem like 90% of the original border which is what I thought it might be.

The main reason I was trying to figure this out is sometimes a value of 1 is too big and as I try to tighten the KO border up by using something like .9 sometimes it seems like it's not centered on the text, and sometimes crops the text. Just trying to understand it a bit more. Thanks Dave.
Attachments
koborders.PNG
koborders.PNG (3.91 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
#74684 by dmartens
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Doesn't look like it relates to anything. The difference between the .9 and 1 enlargements do not match at top and bottom or right and left. There is a larger increase on the left and the bottom. I don't use KO borders but was curious if it was that way for the font we use (arcwy2hc). And it is. Hope you can accomplish what you are trying to Josh.

Dan